Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been a big fan of Col. Jeff Cooper since the late 1950s. His training and writing has been a big part of my life as a Police Officer, Hunter, Firearms Trainer, and shooter. I have read and Reread almost all of his books, magazines and articles for the last 60+ years. I believe that his ideas and training has saved the lives of numerous Police Officers, Soldiers, and civilians. The last of his projects before he left us in 2006 was what he called the Scout Rifle. His book The Art of The Rifle published in 1997 and it spelled out his ideas of what a rifle should be like. Light weight, powerful, magazine fed, accurate, if scope mounted the scope should be mounted forward etc. He used Remington model 600 for his prototypes. He was Very Happy when Steyr used his ideas in their Scout rifle in 308 Winchester and 376 Steyr. I never saw a Steyr Scout Rifle and probably could not afford one if I did see one for sale. A few Years ago both Ruger and Savage came out with a .308 Win. Scout Rifle that were a great tribute to the Late Great Col. Cooper. I looked at both models and was able to purchase a new Ruger 77 Bolt Action Scout Rifle. I really think that it is a great rifle. If I only had one rifle this would be IT.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Well stated brother. The Colonel would approve.
Vic

Reactions: sparkyv

·
Registered
213 Posts
I agree with you jimg11, I'm a big fan of the Scout concept, but the weight of the Ruger Scout is a bit heavier than what the Col. had envisioned. Yours has a beautiful stock. Mine has a forward mounted Vortex sitting on high rings so I can use the sights as a backup, and I'll be replacing the silly flash hider. I really like those sights. Which scope does your wear?

·
Registered
4,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have a Burris 2 3/4 Scout Scope on mine. I chose the good looking stock rather than the save a few ounces on the Savage.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts