Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
3,065 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have this rifle? how you like it?
Looking at this rifle plus the M&P Sport.....

·
Registered
23,200 Posts
A neighbor has one & brought it to my range. It looked good but the bolt jammed in the closed position on the 1st mag. It took a bit of persuasion w/ a brass mallet to get it functioning. He took it home & dismantled it, said it had plenty of oil but scrubbed it good & tried again. Same results. After another scrub/oil session it's been ok. For the record he isn't a greenhorn, retired military & gunsmith school graduate. I had a M&P Sport that was flawless out of the box, no oil, cleaning, etc.. 6,000 rounds w/out a hitch before it got traded for something else. I recommend it.

·
Super Moderator
32,459 Posts
We picked one up a couple of years ago:

Never had any issues with it so far. We also picked up a couple of dozen of the 20 round steel/aluminum magazines. We prefer those, they balance better and you have a shorter magazine when firing prone or from a rest.

·
Super Moderator
32,459 Posts
Wendy reminds me, I seldom use the 2 30 round mags that came with mine. I have a mix of 10 and 20 Rd mags. One is 50 year old original Colt. All work well.
The 20 round do work great here such as inserting and ejecting is quicker and more positive than with 30 round magazines!

·
Registered
3,065 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
I've had the AR-556 For a few years. Never a problem. Didn't care a lot for the stock trigger and dropped in a Timney.
Don't know about the SR-556. Not sure which your looking at.
Wendy's.......

Qxv1b8I.jpg

Kinda eyeing the RUGER 556 MPR as well....about $100.00 more

·
Registered
13,372 Posts
You know me, no black (oxide) guns here but I do have a Ruger Mini 14 Target that was accurized and pillar bedded by Accuracy Systems, International, that shoots consistent sub moa at 300 yards (taking into account bullet drop of course). It eats 223's and 5.56 NATO with no issue. Nice Investment cast rolling block action with a huge adjustable balancer on the business end. It's a fun gun to shoot, has a Thumb hole stock that is fully adjustable for length of pull and comb. Have a number of 30 round magazines for it and 2 100 round drums as well (for those extended shooting sessions)....:D Topped with a Leupold high turret Boone and Crockett target scope, 8.5 x 30

·
Registered
4,687 Posts
I have one that I bought 2 years ago. Never a single issue. View attachment 428887
Curious what optic and riser do you have mounted, Mark? How do you like it? I'm considering red dot because my wife has developed an interest in shooting an AR and my own eyes are struggling with aperture sights. I'm sure a red dot will make it easier for both of us.
Please forgive me for stealing the thread, Paul. I'll give it back right away. Promise.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Nothing wrong with the Ruger 5.56, but I honestly think you can put together just as nice a gun from PSA and beat the Ruger price point.

I've built several PSA ARs in the last year, and fit/finish on them is really good, and better than some of the Rugers I've looked at.

The Ruger may do a little better in the secondary market, if that's a concern.

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
Palmetto State Armory. I've lost count of how many I have. They constantly run deals on complete lowers, and complete uppers. You can get a really nice rifle for less. They offer a lot of midlength gas systems=less recoil. If you want order a complete rifle kit and get a stripped lower. They offer some kits, or uppers/lowers with Magpul furniture. I've never had a problem with anything from PSA. If you do it is warrantied for life. They ship slow. Some of their stuff is listed as blems. I always buy those as I can't find anything wrong. $499 complete it has the same wiggly stock my Colt has, nickle plated fire control group for smoother pull and the rear sight. https://palmettostatearmory.com/psa-16-mid-5-56-nato-1-7-nitride-moe-ept-rifle-with-rear-mbus-5165458949.html Magpul furniture. I have 2 14.7" mid gas uppers. If you have upper arm strength issues it takes a lot of weight off the nose. I've had 3 shoulder surgeries. My new favorite is a FN barreled 14.7" https://palmettostatearmory.com/ar-15/barreled-upper-assemblies.html?caliber_multi=2304&upper_barrel_length=1374

Last I read PSA holds 40% of the AR15 market. Their business model is an AR15 in every closet. The more out there, the harder they are to ban. Yes, in case you haven't noticed I'm a fanboi.

Ruger has some proprietary parts. (Not sure which.) Last time I handled one the trigger was gritty.

S&W really nice barrel, very durable. Finish of the uppers and lowers. Wobbly buttstock (everyone sells these types) last time I checked no heat shields in the hand guards. Easily replaced with Magpul or others. If you want to hand a light or laser on the fore end you would want to upgrade to something that will take a picatinny rail. Usually have good triggers. The hammer is a MIM part. I'm not sure of the rest of the fire control group parts.

My first AR was/is a Colt LE6920MOE edition. Nothing wrong with it. It kicks more than a midlength gas system.

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
PSA does ship slow. Like forever slow... it's my one and only gripe with them. :p

All were under $500, excluding the optics.
Is that 5.56 pistol a 10.5," or 11.5"? Mine are 10.5's. I guess I have up 100fps velocity VS the 11.5. I have only shot my FN upper. The other sits in the safe.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Is that 5.56 pistol a 10.5," or 11.5"?
It's 10.5", but it's .300BLK. I built it and the AR9 pistol to be suppressor hosts, if my cans ever get out of jail...

I have an 11.5" 5.56 Colt that I SBR'd back in the 90s... it loses ~250fps vs. a 16" gun, IIRC. Never tested it against a 10.5".

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
Some claim reliability issues in 10.5' So far I have shot Red Army standard green lacquered "Mil-Spec" and Wolf Gold brass. No issues. I have 2 PSA 9's. One is a 16", and the other is a 10.5. I bought a $99 PSA LRBHO stripped lower. Too bad they quit selling them.

·
Registered
121 Posts
I bought Ruger because I wanted something that I could get help if I needed it. I'm not a gunsmith and don't know much about it if it doesn't function.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts