Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
3,055 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've always liked the 4 5/8" 45 Colt Blackhawks and made a point to have one with me when fartin' around in the mountains.

I'll always regret getting rid of that one in which I fitted a brass grip frame for, but a good friend of mine made me an offer I couldn't refuse and gifted it to his son. At least I got a warm and fuzzy out of that one. ;)

I decided to go the DA route - seeing as how I plan on a bear encounter going really pear shaped really quick. I figure I'll be on the ground with the bear gnawing on my arm and it would be nice to be able to just pull the trigger.

I've shot a lot of hardcast through 'er already and this is the best wood's companion I can think of - well, besides my wife that is.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Same here - I just bought one a couple of months ago, but I haven't shot it yet. I'm not a fan of the rubber grips, so I'm going to need to find a nice pair of wood ones at some point.

Remember that in the event of a bear encounter, you don't need to outrun the bear; you just need to outrun your wife. ;)

·
Registered
3,121 Posts
That Ruger's a fine piece...
Strong as a safe, and dependable, too.
I'd have a Tyler T-grip on that puppy asap!
;)
Don

·
Registered
1,801 Posts
My brother was a big fan of those things. He didn't like the ejector rod. What he did was cut it back a bit, thread the end and screw on a New Service ejector rod nut. It looked pretty neat. Made it easier to eject stubborn cases. I wouldn't know about that as I never shot one. He liked the .44 Magnum version.

·
Registered
19,790 Posts
The Ruger Redhawk in either .45 Colt or .44 Mag. should be just the ticket for unexpected bear protection. SWC hardcast bullets are a good choice for deep penetration. Be sure to practice your point shooting, too!!!! ;) Bob

·
Registered
3,055 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Doc Nonverbal said:
Remember that in the event of a bear encounter, you don't need to outrun the bear; you just need to outrun your wife. ;)
Unfortunately, my wife is small and light - I'm rather large and heavy. ;)

Two years ago, we were riding our dirtbikes (up Bear Creek of all places) and while I was traversing a log, I look up and see mama griz about 30 feet in front of me. I turn around to yell "Bear!" to my wife and she is already turned around and ready to go.

I, on the other hand, am trying to turn my 324 pound DR650 around and get back over the log. I look back and mama griz looks lazily at me and continues on her merry way. I then travel faster than I should on that dirt logging road and catch up to my wife who says "can we go back and get a closer look?". :lol:

·
Registered
3,055 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Bob K said:
The Ruger Redhawk in either .45 Colt or .44 Mag. should be just the ticket for unexpected bear protection. SWC hardcast bullets are a good choice for deep penetration. Be sure to practice your point shooting, too!!!! ;) Bob
I generally point shoot out to about 12 yards when shooting IDPA and USPSA. I've done a lot of practice for bear by turning a standard IDPA target sideways. Shooting 300gr hardcast is not conducive to fast split times, I can tell you that. :lol:

We just had a gentleman from WY get mauled pretty good by a griz near Billings (I think). Ended up with a broken jaw with the typical cuts and bruises. Came across mama and 2-3 cubs. kubvcabo

Shot three rounds and got her. They're sending the cubs to a zoo in Memphis.

·
Registered
3,055 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Doc Nonverbal said:
Same here - I just bought one a couple of months ago, but I haven't shot it yet. I'm not a fan of the rubber grips, so I'm going to need to find a nice pair of wood ones at some point.

If you hurry, you might be able to grab one of these..........
http://www.rugerforum.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=61494

·
Registered
288 Posts
DHENRY said:
That Ruger's a fine piece...
Strong as a safe, and dependable, too.
I'd have a Tyler T-grip on that puppy asap!
;)
Don
+1 to the above. Load it up with 20 gr. 2400 under a Keith 250 grainer and you're ready to go! ihjf

·
Registered
19,790 Posts
Just a question for you, LeMat. I've always seen those Redhawks wearing the Ruger wood Service grips. Are they any better than the S&W Service grips? I find them too small for my hand, and the gun rotates in my hand when I shoot it. My S&W is only a .38 Spl., but the Ruger is a .45 Colt or .44 Mag.. Don't you need more handfilling grips on those Redhawks???? :shock: Bob

(I'd probably put on some rubber Pach's. kubvcabo :lol: )

·
Registered
3,055 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Bob K said:
Just a question for you, LeMat. I've always seen those Redhawks wearing the Ruger wood Service grips. Are they any better than the S&W Service grips? I find them too small for my hand, and the gun rotates in my hand when I shoot it. My S&W is only a .38 Spl., but the Ruger is a .45 Colt or .44 Mag.. Don't you need more handfilling grips on those Redhawks???? :shock: Bob

(I'd probably put on some rubber Pach's. kubvcabo :lol: )
I don't know if they're any better. The only ones I can compare them to are the Target stocks on my 586. They're both wood, but that's where the similarity ends.

I love the feel of the Ruger wood, but the only downside is that it shifts a bit while shooting "at speed". I'll do Bill Drills once in a while with lighter loads, but with the complete lack of any checkering or traction on the front/back strap, the web of my hand is sitting darn near under the hammer by the 6th shot. If I'm shooting slow, there's no problem at all. The wood does make the grip a bit like a mop handle, but I think it's comfortable.

I'm playing with the idea of getting something done with the front and back straps, just not sure what I want yet. Stipling is great, but I don't really like the looks of it. Checkering would just look wrong and vertical machined lines (having a brain fart with the technical term) wouldn't really help all that much I think. I've thought about having the grips checkered, but not sure where to send it. I've got another pair and have thought about doing it myself.

·
Registered
9,504 Posts
Hey LeMat: Like your choice of the Redhawk; a handsome revolver plus Ruger study too. I had a 5" Redhawk in 44 mag., but being a S&W guy I swaped it on a 44 Mountain Gun when those became available.

As to the smooth grips, for the type loads your using I'd also consider Pachs; they don't enhance the looks but I think those will give you a better grip.

If you think Pachs are ugly, get a load of these:

BUT NEAT HOLSTER, EH? Hank

·
Registered
3,055 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well, you certainly can't miss 'em. ;)

I seen you post that setup before, but I gotta tell ya, I think that is a seriously cool rig. Does it actually hold the weapon securely?

·
Registered
19,790 Posts
LeMat, Putting on a pair of Pach's is the way that I'd go, with the heavy recoiling Ruger. You can always put the Ruger wood on for looks. I find that I don't look at the revolver much.....when I'm out in the woods, wearing it on my hip!!! :roll: Plus....the bear don't care much! :lol: Bob

·
Registered
3,055 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Well I finally found the grip tape that I used to use on a Para widebody when I was shooting USPSA. Figured I'd try it on both the front and backstrap and see how it went.

It does offer a great amount of traction without altering the gun at all and affords just enough "stick" to keep the gun from wandering when shooting at speed - without grating on the hand like sandpaper after a number of rounds.

I like it so far. :D

·
Registered
9,504 Posts
Hey: Simple but innovative, that stuff reminds me of wing walk compound; keeps pilots from slipping off the wing when entering an airplane on a morning with heavy dew.

Per the question about the holster rig for the 460 S&W: My neighbor's wife gave it to me, she thought it was a holster. I believe it a nail gun holster. I guess I could modify it.

Looks like you came up with a good solution for the Redhawk.

Hank

1 - 20 of 20 Posts