Smith And Wesson Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok I know it has a match chamber, but man I've tired at least 10 different loads and all of them have got stuck or fail to extract. Not exactly a rookie here, and I've built many of my own AR's, and yes its been broke down complety and cleaned and inspected for any fouling ect.
CCI std velocity
CCI tactical
CCI mini mags segmented
Remington golden bullet
Federal Match lead RN
Federal Auto match
Winchester super X M22 std target
and others

So far the best preformers have been the CCI tactical, and Remington golden bullet, and there is no doubt this rifle likes HV ammo to fully cycle the bolt, but even these get stuck in the chanber, and or fail to extract that I need a dowel or rod to pop them out. Its not useable in this condition IMHO.

Any one else experence this TIGHT MATCH chamber issue on the performace center M&P 15-22. I've ordered a volquartsen extractor to see if it might help, or has any one lightly polished their chamber as a last resort.

· Registered
276 Posts
You getting scrape marks on your casings? If so the chamber edges might be sharp causing burrs/shavings on the brass. That can be polished just like the chamber. Had a revolver like that once. The shavings would get between the round and the chamber walls and make ejection difficult. You may also find high velocity ammo may not be necessary once the chamber is smooth.

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
You getting scrape marks on your casings? If so the chamber edges might be sharp causing burrs/shavings on the brass. That can be polished just like the chamber. Had a revolver like that once. The shavings would get between the round and the chamber walls and make ejection difficult. You may also find high velocity ammo may not be necessary once the chamber is smooth.
Not all, but some, show VERY light scrape marks, cleaned up the chamber some more going to try again tomorrow along with the new volquartsen extractor.

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Not perfect but much better today used 4 types of ammo...

CCI Standard (shoots and feeds ok, but just not enough power to run the bolt correctly)
CCI Tactical (100 rounds of this today only one stuck case failed to extract, and a few failed to reset the trigger good groups at 50 yards)
Remington Golden bullet 40gr (My gun loves this stuff one stuck case failed to extract was the only failure, and was good for 4 shot sub 1/2"groups at 50 yards)
Winchester M22 auto ( Gave up on that after about 6 rounds all the cases stuck and failed to extract)

I highly recommend the volquartsen extractor, on the ammo that worked the positive extractions were WAY BETTER then factory extractor..

Going to install a Geissele match trigger tonight

· Registered
16 Posts
Not perfect but much better today used 4 types of ammo...

CCI Standard (shoots and feeds ok, but just not enough power to run the bolt correctly)
CCI Tactical (100 rounds of this today only one stuck case failed to extract, and a few failed to reset the trigger good groups at 50 yards)
Remington Golden bullet 40gr (My gun loves this stuff one stuck case failed to extract was the only failure, and was good for 4 shot sub 1/2"groups at 50 yards)
Winchester M22 auto ( Gave up on that after about 6 rounds all the cases stuck and failed to extract)

I highly recommend the volquartsen extractor, on the ammo that worked the positive extractions were WAY BETTER then factory extractor..

Going to install a Geissele match trigger tonight
I was glad to see this thread, and I just bought the volquartsen extractor from Brownell's. I have had my M&P 15-22 for more than a year, but it has never functioned properly when extracting spent casings. I just took that to suggest I need to break it in more. So I've put about 500 rounds through it and in my case, the bolt cycles and picks up the next live round, somehow managing to chamber it while the empty casing gets flattened by the BCG with the primer end sticking out. Each time it jams, which is about 90%, nearly the exact same scenario happens. The spent casings don't get completely extracted before the bolt closes and loads the next round.
So, I am hopeful this new extractor makes it better. Otherwise I have 10 15-22 magazines I'll sell because the rifle is nearly unusable with how much it mungs up.
Practically every moving part of the upper and lower has been removed and thoroughly cleaned and oiled. I thought using different ammo may help, but it does the same with any ammo I've tried.

So, thanks for the advice. I'll let the forum know the results. For 20 bucks, it seemed like a worthwhile troubleshooting step.

· Registered
49,070 Posts
I was glad to see this thread, and I just bought the volquartsen extractor from Brownell's. I have had my M&P 15-22 for more than a year, but it has never functioned properly when extracting spent casings. I just took that to suggest I need to break it in more. So I've put about 500 rounds through it and in my case, the bolt cycles and picks up the next live round, somehow managing to chamber it while the empty casing gets flattened by the BCG with the primer end sticking out. Each time it jams, which is about 90%, nearly the exact same scenario happens. The spent casings don't get completely extracted before the bolt closes and loads the next round.
So, I am hopeful this new extractor makes it better. Otherwise I have 10 15-22 magazines I'll sell because the rifle is nearly unusable with how much it mungs up.
Practically every moving part of the upper and lower has been removed and thoroughly cleaned and oiled. I thought using different ammo may help, but it does the same with any ammo I've tried.

So, thanks for the advice. I'll let the forum know the results. For 20 bucks, it seemed like a worthwhile troubleshooting step.
With that much long on-going trouble, why haven''t you sent it back to S&W?

· Registered
16 Posts
With that much long on-going trouble, why haven''t you sent it back to S&W?
Honestly, The only firearm I've bought in the last 2 years that never jammed is a Stribog. I figured the breaking in period for the 15-22 was just a bit longer than most. Because it happens 5-10 times in a 25 rnd mag, you're probably right and I should do a warranty repair from S&W. We'll see if the new extractor helps because I don't like sending in my guns for repair and have been trying to avoid it. :)

· Registered
49,070 Posts
If you DO send it back, remove your aftermarket stuff and put the factory stuff back on or it will most likely disappear. Ruger is notorious for that and I don't blame them - it is typically a CYA move on their part.

Reactions: SidecarFlip

· Registered
23,692 Posts
Years ago, had that issue with my Kimber 45 auto pistol. All I did was polish the chamber with some fine lapping compound on a cotton mop. Keep in mind that chamber reamers get dull after repeated use and must be dressed for continuing use and that dressing (cutter grinding) will change the dimension of the reamer ever so slightly. Could be they used a reground reamer that was undersized of the minimal dimension.

· Registered
16 Posts
Problem FIXED!!! OK, so I only got back into firearms collecting and use a couple years back after 25+ years of other hobbies. So forgive my ignorance, but thanks to this forum, found and executed the proper fix for my M&P 12-22. After very close inspection, my BCG did not HAVE an extractor, spring & and set pin any longer. Must have fallen out unnoticed at some point. Frankly I'm amazed it would eject any shells at all, and sometimes several in a row!
Anyway, I ordered the Volquartsen extractor as well as the spring & set pin from TandemKross and had them all within 4 days. Did the install (thanks to several You Tubers) and took it out to the range. WHAT a MARVELOUS difference! I got through several 25 round mags as well as the 50 round drum I have for it without a single jam, misfire, or issue of any kind.
And now I know more abut my rifle and how it works. Thanks to you all

1 - 16 of 16 Posts