Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently got a round butt model 36 with a couple different grips. Mid 60's I guess. The factory grips were supposed to fit, but were not on the gun when I purchased it. They bolt up just fine-----but are about 3/16th short. What grips do I have? I have small hands and factory grips fit me better.

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Here's a M 36 with factory number matching grips from about 1968. Mid sixes the last few numbers of the serial number should stamped inside one of the grips.

·
Premium Member
19,968 Posts
Welcome to the forums from the Wiregrass! It sounds like you have I frame grips with a J frame gun. Pictures are going to be necessary.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I recently got a round butt model 36 with a couple different grips. Mid 60's I guess. The factory grips were supposed to fit, but were not on the gun when I purchased it. They bolt up just fine-----but are about 3/16th short. What grips do I have? I have small hands and factory grips fit me better.

I'm pretty new to getting pictures from my phone to the PC so mI can see them, sorry

·
Premium Member
74 Posts
OK, I'm scratching my head. My guess is those grips are much older than your revolver. Looking forward to what the experts have to say.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Here's a M 36 with factory number matching grips from about 1968. Mid sixes the last few numbers of the serial number should stamped inside one of the grips. View attachment 506035
SN on grip does defiantly not match. So perchance they are "I" frame grips? Are they very similar-----just shorter? These are very close, like maybe places would be a 64th wide, but not everywhere. The pin holes make it a very snug fit--no slop at all.
Welcome to the forums from the Wiregrass! It sounds like you have I frame grips with a J frame gun. Pictures are going to be necessary.

·
Premium Member
19,968 Posts
I suspect those grips are for a "Baby Chief." The first J frame was the "Baby" Chiefs Special which had an extended cylinder window but an I frame grip frame. The I frame segued to the J frame in 1961. So those grips are early post-WWII production.

·
Registered
2,541 Posts
Yup, Baby Chief I-frame grips.
I have a set of regular J-frame grips I'd trade you for them.
Send me a PM (Private Message) if you're interested.

·
Premium Member
19,968 Posts
Just for ****s and grins, there should be a serial number stamped on the back of the right grip panel. What is it?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Just for ****s and grins, there should be a serial number stamped on the back of the right grip panel. What is it?
568 over 623. I got too tunnel visioned. I have an early 1900's .32 with black plastic grips that they fit perfectly on. I guess that would make it an I frame?
Thank you!

·
Premium Member
19,968 Posts
Well, if that serial 568623 doesn't match your gun, the grips are obviously for another gun. I bet they look good on your I frame .32 Hand Ejector!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Well, if that serial 568623 doesn't match your gun, the grips are obviously for another gun. I bet they look good on your I frame .32 Hand Ejector!
They really do! The only problem is that ain't what came on it. The plastic grips
serial number does not match the Hand Ejector either

·
Premium Member
19,968 Posts
The grips on your .32 HE are probably not plastic but are hard rubber. They often get damaged at the bottom because people pry them off and the grip pin cracks the grip panel at the bottom where it inserts into the panel. So, replacements are commonplace. There are also some replica plastic grips out there currently available at retail.

Reactions: Dumb Kopf

·
Registered
5 Posts
Nice grips!
My best guess is that the pictured stocks are likely for a Terrier. The number on them is far beyond the end of the line for the Baby Chiefs Special (but they should neatly fit on a Baby Chiefs).

1 - 19 of 19 Posts