Smith And Wesson Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all, FNG here! I am working with a friend to develop some hunting and plinking loads for his 357 Mag M971 ~6" barrel. I loaded some Bayou Bullets Hi-Tek coated 158gr SWC in over 4.8gr Bullseye and Hornady 140gr FTX over 11-13 gr AA#9. Both loads impacted about a foot above POA at 25 yards. (He mentioned that he missed a doe last year, coincidentally said that he shot over it's back...... hmmmm). BTW we got a load of AA#9 that gave a 2" 25yd group with the Hdy FTX's.2

Examining the gun at the range, the rear sight appeared to be wind-age adjustable only. Not my gun so I don't know it inside and out, or what it's factory specs are. But, we need to get this revolver hitting closer to POA. I played around with it at the range and had to bury the top of the front sight into the bottom of the rear notch to hit POA. Does anyone know what load the sights were originally regulated for? If it were my gun I would punch out the pin and make a new front blade, but it's not. Doesn't seem to be any replacement blades out there, maybe a S&W blade will fit? I asked him why he didn't just put a dot on it? But then, we have to find a scope base to fit - Again, I'm thinking one made for a S&W would fit.

Anyone have any suggestions?

· Registered
18,112 Posts
Most fixed sight 357 revolvers would be regulated for a 158 grain full power load, but I don't know for sure if that is how Rossi did it or not. In general a lighter, faster bullet will hit lower than a heavier, slower bullet, but a light vs a heavier bullets impact point difference would not be a foot at 25 yards. It sounds like he needs a shorter front sight, but I can't say how much shorter

· Registered
18,112 Posts
Jonesy, ya gots it backwards, he needs a taller front sight.... To lower POI you lower the rear or raise the front.
yep, I shouldn't post anything remotely technical after midnight. I even pictured in my head a lower sight resulting in the barrel to have to be held up HIGHER...then typed it anyways :rolleyes:

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Did some research on the M971 and now am pretty sure it has fully adjustable rear sight. FWIW when we shot it the windage was way off too - probably a good 18" left. Didn't think too much of it as windage re-centered when I got the notch back to the middle. Now I'm wondering if the sight isn't boogered up or maybe has something jammed in it from his brush busting that's keeping it from going down. I need to spend some quality time with my bud's pistol. I would really like to disassemble and clean the rear sight.

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
OK, mystery solved!

Rear sight was bent. We were at the range this weekend and the screw that holds the rear sight on came loose. I took the opportunity to pull the rear sight off and check it out. I adjusted it so that it sat flush when the elevation screw was bottomed and reassembled. Impact is now back to normal. I did advise my friend to pull the mounting screw, de-grease, and add a drop of blue locktite. I'm thinking that I'll have to toss the degreaser and locktite into my shooting bag and fix it next time we go out.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts