Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all:

Picked up a pretty nice 28-2 at the gun show. It came with Pachmayr grips, which I like, but would really like to have the authentic grips it came with. So did all N frames come with pretty much the same grips? I know there are some differences, like with the diamond and without, but would have this revolver and a model 29 of the same era have had the same grips? The serial is N512xxx - would these be the 'with the diamond' style or without?

Also found a like new 586-1 4", serial number AYR4xxx. Below that is the letter M and then 586-1. Is there any significance to the letter M?

Soory if these are noob type questions, I didn't see anything while searching.

Thanks,
Jonathan

·
Registered
6,488 Posts
Glad to have you with us Johnathan. We were all Newbies at one time... everyone except QC (Quarter Cherokee)... he was born "all growed up" .... ;)

Your N-Frame 28-2 probably originally shipped with Magnas. These are the smaller standard issue -type stocks that attach to either side of the gun and leave both the front and rear grip straps exposed. It is also possible that it shipped with Walnut Target stocks. If your gun has a Target Hammer and Trigger or Red Ramp / White Outline sights, that's a clue.

Either stock type would be correct. Magnas in this era were still mostly serial numbered to the gun, Target would not be.

The "M" stamping on your 586 is for "Modified". This was a recall / rework indicator to document a factory upgrade in the mid 80's for a somewhat longer "Hammer Nose" or firing pin to enhance reliability.

Drew

·
Registered
10,921 Posts
Jonathan, you started off with a pair of nice revolvers! kfjdrfirii
I agree with Drew, non-diamond Magnas would be my bet on the 28-2 also. The N512XXX would be '78/'79, well past the '66 {or there abouts} when the diamonds were phased out.
And Charlie is right, we need pictures :D

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the replies, folks. Here's some pictures of the two. As you can see the 28-2 has some holster wear but seems to be in pretty good shape. Bore is perfect and everything seems tight. I bought this one to shoot - it appears it could withstand a lifetime of light .38 special loads. I haven't seen Pachmayr grips like those before - they maybe were put one right when the original purchaser bought it. Next show I'll search around for some correct grips. Please ignore the lint in the pictures - those aren't scratches!

This one appears to be shot very little and not carried much if at all. I can't find any finish wear other than the drag line. Got these at the gun show on Saturday - lots of wheel guns, especially Smiths and Rugers, at what I thought were reasonable prices.

·
Registered
10,442 Posts
Johnathan, first congratulations on two nice looking weapons. Secondly, WOW on the quality of those pictures! EXCELLENT shots! kfjdrfirii

·
Registered
10,921 Posts
Yer gonna fit right in here if ya keep up that photo work kfjdrfirii

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hi Jonathan
Beautiful revolvers worthy of the phantastic photography. WOW. After looking at your photos I went back and looked at mine. They are an inspiration and something for the future. I have always enjoyed photography and that kind of work may encourage me to the next level.
Welcome for sure.
TaKe CaRe
Ted

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks everyone for the compliments on the photos. For some reason firearms are really hard to take good pictures of, at least for me. Those ones above represent the best of about 50 or 60 shots. I'd say at least 95% of the credit goes to the camera.

I did some searching and I think I probably paid a little too much for both ($400 for the 28-2 and $425 for the 586-1) compared to online, but at least at a gun show you can hold it in your hands and really give it a good inspection. To me that's worth a little more than even the best photos. Plus no shipping or transfer fees. Or waiting! Unfortunately I won't be able to take them out until next weekend :( .

My best to all,
Jonathan

·
Registered
5 Posts
Great pics and 2 really good choices!
The highway patrolman is 1 of my all time favorites.
I love the 586, mine is nickel, it's a great shooter!
The 586 was a direct copy of the Python with its full length underelug. I'd put pics up but can'y get mine anywhere near yours. If you could give me some pointers I'd love to know how you took and posted such great photos. klgasilBRVO

·
Super Moderator
32,540 Posts
Excellent pictures! kfjdrfirii

You keep posting pictures of that quality and mm6mm6 and some others here will have serious competition.

I am jealous since I don't take very good pictures.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
There's really not too many pointers I can give you. I have what was a decent camera about 3 years ago, a Canon S3IS. I bought it because of the 12x optical zoom, and it's ability to focus at 0 inches - in otherwords you can lay it on it's back and place a penny on the lens and it can still focus on it. Obviously great for close-ups. Don't use the flash (you'll need a tripod unless you have REALLY steady hands), and try to photo outdoors if you can (although that's hard around here as it rains all the time). All the ones above were taken indoors under fluorescent light - there's a setting on the camera for that type of lighting condition. I sent mine to aperature priority and set the aperature to 8 to get the depth of field needed for some of the shots, like the 'down the muzzle view' so the entire revolver stays in focus. Depending on your camera you may have many features to play with.

Basically it takes a lot of playing around, and a lot of wasted shots. If you're looking for a camera I recommend one with a large optical zoom - digital zoom is meaningless - you can do the same thing on the computer. Having one with both a macro and a super macro setting is nice for close-ups. I would not buy one without full manual controls. This is my personal preference but I would buy one from one of the makers of good 35mm film cameras, i.e. Canon, Nikon, or Minolta. FWIW the higher end models are still made in Japan.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts