Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Seriously considering taking a build course....
Wouldn't mind building my own 1911. I have a friend that is a gunsmith that has all the jigs, tools, etc...to pretty much do as he pleases. Half tempted to buy the parts and pieces he recommends and build one with his help. Plus learn how to properly fit slides to frames, ...tune a series 80 trigger, fit a new beaver tail, etc...

Anyone here doing their own builds?

·
Super Moderator
8,958 Posts
I don't, but if I had the opportunity you have I would not let it slip through my fingers. I bet it will be a very rewarding experience.

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
I imagine it could be fun and a proud one to call yours.

I don't have the time or patience though. I'll just buy one. ;)

·
Registered
10,929 Posts
I did one about ten years ago on a IAI stainless frame and slide for my oldest son. Paid $198 for the two unfinished parts. By the time I bought all the stuff {tools included}, I could have bought a very nice custom 1911 {I awwww cruded the first barrel}. Have since sold/traded/loaned out, never got back the equipment. It was a very worth while experience and would not do it again. Before you get started, I would recommend a book, The Custom Government Model Pistol: Layne Simpson
I have read that book cover to cover twice and chapters of it a few more times. It's a great read for anyone that owns a 1911 and could make you consider some things you had not thought of {switch top gun, 38 Super/ 45 ACP maybe}, just a thought.

·
Registered
1,839 Posts
Giz the problem I have is that I have no confidence in my own work. No mater how great it turns out I know I did something wrong. ;)

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
With so many inexpensive 45's coming onto the market, it would be easy to take a basic millspec and get going. The Rock Island Arms 45's can be had for just over three Franklins. The aftermarket parts available are fairly cheap to make some great improvements in that base gun. The 1911 Platform is perhaps one of the easiest to start making modifications to and you don't have to go crazy on tools to get started. Most of the basics, I already own...because of my trade...

But it would be nice to take a workshop or two and get things started in the right direction. I hear the Wilson video's are well worth the money...

giz

1 - 6 of 6 Posts