Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
753 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I special ordered this rifle last year thru RRA. It took 10 months to build. I finally got a few minutes to myself and slipped off to the range to test fire and sight it all in.

The rifle was ordered with the chrome moly 1-9 20" barrel, Daniel defense M4 12" quad rail, Weaver type gas block sight base, surefire weapons light, front and rear BUIS sights (Samson flip front sight, Matech 600 meter rear sight), plus a few minor things like sling swivels and a sling.

Once the gun was in my hands I ordered thru Larue, the surefire weapons light quick disconnect mount, a quick disconnect 5/8 riser (for the Bushnell Halo sight) and the LaRue Tactical SPR/M4 1.93" quick disconnect Mount for the 4-12X 40 mm Leupold scope.

The gun was $1,800 from RRA and the accessories brought it up to around $2,700 bucks.

Fit and finish were very good to excellent. The upper and lower went together smoothly out of the blue plastic gun case from the factory. Just a hint of wobble between the upper and lower, but still quite acceptable (my older A2 needed a bullet tip to push out the take down pins). The magazine supplied with the weapon appeared to be junk, and went with the plastic gun case in the other room for storage.

I brought to the range several Brownell mags that are of very high quality and they are the only mags I use. I also had on hand several hundred of my 5.56 reloads which chronograph close to 3250 out of the 20 inch barrel. I sighted the BUIS sights in first, at .38 inch low at 50 yards to simulate a 200 meter zero.
A few groups and there was a nice cluster centered and below the bull. Now the Matech 600 meter sights should be on.

I folded down the irons and put up the old Bushnell Halo from another rifle. That was sighted in at POI at 50 yards. I started to have little fun ripping the bulls eye out of the target before I looked over and remembered the scope needed to sighted in too.

Off came the Bushnell and the Leupold scope went on top of the rail. This was fired at 100 yards and at this point the barrel was not squeaky clean any longer. It took several groups fired until I tried to make a tight group. The rifle seems to shoot 1 inch groups with the ammo supplied, providing I do my part.

Over all, the A4 rifle didn't have any malfunctions, it went bang every time and was fun to shoot. This rifle has the flexibility to shoot 3 different kinds of optics, so if I'm in the mood for irons, the other stuff stays back at the house. I'm happy with the gun, it's a shooter! Here are the pics:

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
MY GOD 500! It's an Assault-Rifle!!! What about the Children??????

Nice toy. ihjf

·
Registered
402 Posts
I like your A4 set up alot. Most Rock River triggers are pretty darn good right out of the box as well. I am running a Magtech 600 meter rear sight on my rifle (Armlite Eagle kit build) as well and a fixed stock. I can recommend using the Gear Sector one point sling. It is a nicely built piece of gear that is very simple to use. Good job on your AR kfjdrfirii

1 - 5 of 5 Posts