Smith And Wesson Forums banner

Rifle Perfection

1K views 13 replies 8 participants last post by  memtb 
#1 ·
5 lbs of RL17. A brick of large rifle primers. Endless 30-06 brass. Sierra bullets... and 1930s Marine Corp 1903 A5 sniper rifle... life is good
Camera accessory Material property Cameras & optics Room Camera
Camera accessory Material property Cameras & optics Room Camera
Gun Machine gun Air gun

See less See more
#7 · (Edited)
For just a few dollars more from Ebay or Amazon, you can get an Unertl with a 1" tube and higher magnification. Nice Springfield ! ! !

EDIT: I bought a 15x Unertl on Ebay and mounted the scope on a CMP Kimber 82 government model 22 LR rifle. Image is everything.

Type Unertl in the search box and evrything comes up immediately, usually about 15 different scopes. Patience will get a nice one for a reasonable price.

Reactions: Pavia
#9 · (Edited)
Mine is a USMC team rifle assembled by the Philly Naval Depot in the late 20s. It has all the right markings and arsenal marks for a USMC 1903A5. However instead of a Winchester scope it has a Lyman scope, which is realistic as Lyman took over the manufacturing of the A5 scope after WWI (renamed 5A). The original bolt is in the white, but I shoot it with a replacement bolt with a bit better head space. It has the steam gauge marked barrel... SA 4-25 dated on a Rock Island receiver from around the same time. Scope is clear and bright. Extremely accurate with my reloads of 175gr SMK. I don’t think this USMC rifle saw combat in WWII, but rather was used for competition in the 20s and 30s.

#12 ·
However instead of a Winchester scope it has a Lyman scope, which is realistic as Lyman took over the manufacturing of the A5 scope after WWI (renamed 5A).
Lyman redesigned the internal components, making it much more reliable. I see that yours has the A5-style mounts which Lyman continued to use for a short time before designing their own. Do they have the 1907 pat. dates?

Do you know Steve Norton? He has more research data on USMC-issued '03s than anybody I know.

#14 ·
Nice! Looks like you’ve got a good start on components! ;) memtb

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.