Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Banned
918 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just a WTTW, I was out hunting yesterday, and as I was sitting in the stand, I thought of last year, when I had something blocking my barrel, which I cleared.

I unloaded the AR, popped it open, and pulled the bolt, and sure as shootin', ANOTHER obstruction in the barrel!
Now, I'm retired, and have the good fortune to hunt pretty much every day. But I am going to make it a point to check my barrel for blockages once a week, from now on.

I would heartily recommend y'all check your own rifle barrels, and make sure they are clear, once in a while.

·
Premium Member
9,938 Posts
The last thing I do when cleaning a rifle is to oil a mop and swab the oil in the barrel rifling.

I've always felt it was a good idea to remove any remaining oil with a dry patch when I first take a high power rifle out of storage to use it. Hydraulic pressure could potentially cause damage if the oil was still in there for the first shot.

Is there some species of insect or arachnid that likes to live inside rifle barrels? Inquiring minds want to know!

·
Registered
1,739 Posts
Is there some species of insect or arachnid that likes to live inside rifle barrels? Inquiring minds want to know!

A dirt dauber might.....

Checking the bore before use is always good ideal !!!

·
Banned
918 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
It was just dried dirt, like mud. I can't remember leaving my rifle alone outside long enough for a Mud Dauber to get at
either of them, but anything you leave out, in the sticks around here, gets the Dauber treatment, if there's a hole in it. There's about a Bazillion Daubers, Orchard Mason Bees, and other mud spackle happy pests out here.

All I know is I'm checking my barrels once weekly, from now on.

Ha ha, Kumo kills me:

"What's in the box? NOTHING's in the box! STUPID!" :D

·
Registered
3,473 Posts
It was just dried dirt, like mud. I can't remember leaving my rifle alone outside long enough for a Mud Dauber to get at
either of them, but anything you leave out, in the sticks around here, gets the Dauber treatment, if there's a hole in it. There's about a Bazillion Daubers, Orchard Mason Bees, and other mud spackle happy pests out here.

All I know is I'm checking my barrels once weekly, from now on.

Ha ha, Kumo kills me:

"What's in the box? NOTHING's in the box! STUPID!" :D
It's a quote from a movie, What movie was it?:D

·
Registered
12,337 Posts
Never been an issue with me. My hunting rifles are all cleaned after using them with BTE, bore scoped to insure the bores are clean, carbon and copper free and then a patch with Hoppes 9 and they get put in the gun cabinet, muzzle up with an old flannel cut off (and sewed at one end) shirt sleeve slipped over the muzzle end.

Have to clean both Nebraska rifles I took on the hunt I just got back from and this weekend I'm muzzle loader hunting locally for a doe. When I'm done with that it gets cleaned with CVA bore clean, the breech plug gets cleaned and never seize gets applied to the threads and a patch with Bore Butter run down the tube and stored with the flannel sleeve in the cabinet until next time.

Shot a nice Mule Deer buck at 150 yards, about 180 pounds, 150 spread.

I n another thread I started...

·
Registered
73 Posts
Congratulations on being able to hunt. I was run off on a medical. I think the "Finger Cots" are a great idea. I used to get them from the local pharmacy. Congratulations again.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts