Smith And Wesson Forums banner

Revolver age question - Now with pictures

1K views 15 replies 6 participants last post by  Wiregrassguy 
#1 ·
I inherited a s&w 32 long serial number 199xxx. My wife and I were guessing its age. She guessed 1940-50. I think it is older. Around the turn of the century. Thanks for any info Hank

#2 ·
With that serial number, you're looking at pre WW I. Turn of the last century.

Post a picture and we can tell you more.

Reactions: Cliff and Curt360
#4 ·
I inherited a s&w 32 long serial number 199xxx. My wife and I were guessing its age.
Just the caliber isn’t a lot to go on, but probability makes the .32 Hand Ejector, Model of 1903, 5th Change, the most likely candidate, with serials 102501 to 263000, being produced between 1910 and 1917, with your serial falling just about in the middle of that range.

But as Delcrossy says, a photo is needed for confirmation of the model.

#10 ·
Welcome to the forums from the Wiregrass! The timing can be adjusted by peening the ratchet for the slow cylinders. Over time, the hand pushes the metal of the ratchet away from it and causes the timing to lag. Peening reshapes the ratchet and allows better contact with the hand. Another way is to install an oversized hand. However, this may require adjustment of all the ratchets to get the timing correct. A good gunsmith can fix it for you.

Reactions: Curt360
#12 ·
Welcome to the forums from the Wiregrass! My admiration, Sir! Didn't mean to insult your technical skills but we rarely get posters that know how to fix timing problems. SW GA is my stomping grounds...around Blakely...Donaldsonville... Are you a Wiregrassian?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.