Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been looking at a good deal of reblued Winchesters lately. It struck me odd that folks are willing to walk away from a original older reblued classic model rifle....and yet, be willing to pay twice as much for a modern reproduction version of the same gun, from a foreign maker.....

It just does not make a whole lotta sense... :roll:

Orignal Reblue vs Replica...what do you guys think?

giz

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Original, every time.
The history and the story is in the old, beat up, or reblued piece that actually had a life.

What is the point of a current copy of the original?

Only exception, if you can't even find the original, or they are way too expensive to purchase.

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
Usually the reblue is a butcher job and makes the old gun look hideous. I shy away from reblues for this reason. And, if the job is a great reblue, then the price usually reflects the fact by being "higher than giraffe pus&y"!!! :lol:

I buy only original finish Winchester rifles, and only if they're not rusty or pitted. Conversly, I just picked up a like new 1978 Browning 92 in .44 mag; they are the re-pop of the original 1892 Winchester, which I don't believe was ever made in .44 mag caliber (.44-40 though). The gun is absolutely beautiful and very well made and fitted. At only about $100 more than a Rossi or Puma 92, I think they are "sleepers" as they are about 100 times the quality of the Brazilian made copy.

Another point, when I was looking for a Winchester 65 in .218 Bee, the original Winchesters were upwards of $4,000 for anything decent. What to do? Buy the Browning 65, which were made in the 1990 timeframe, for "only" $650. Every bit as well made as the Winchester, and the only detracting point is the "Made in Japan" logo on it...but I can overlook that to have a rifle that is 1/6th the cost of the original!! ;)

·
Registered
6,488 Posts
Weedhopper.

You will quickly learn that both Refinished and Repop Winchesters are a poor investment.

They might be pretty to look at, but the romance is not there and folks can get them anywhere....

One of the appeals of original guns in good condition is that wonder of how in the heck they stayed in this good a condition all these years....

Actually, I find Winchester Guns with a little fine age and light, honest wear alot more appealing....

Drew

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Drew,

Guess I've got a few original Winchesters and they are mostly for sunny days and the range. The one that I have for deer hunting in crappy weather or for hunting the heavy cover is a model 64 reblue. It was well done and is 100 per cent mechanically, bore is a mirror.. Shoots like a dream. Cost me well under $500 when I bought it. It's a working gun and I'm not shy about carrying it... :)

giz

·
Registered
10,919 Posts
I understand Drew's position {and agree} but I don't have any investment ideas about firearms {that's what my Star Trek Collector Plate series is for njgapjgj }. Barb and I take the dogs camping with us and she told me I needed a 'bear gun' to protect the dogs and I told her we had nothing that would work well :mrgreen: . I bought a Brazilan '92 in 454. While the 1915 mfg '94 in 38-55 I had would have served well, finding proper sized lead bullets for it was another matter

·
Registered
2,307 Posts
azmick said:
While the 1915 mfg '94 in 38-55 I had would have served well, finding proper sized lead bullets for it was another matter
Do you reload your own ammo? If so, some of the bullet casting forums may be able to help you. Get enough bullets to see if that style works for you before you buy the mold.

·
Registered
2,307 Posts
Gizamo said:
I've been looking at a good deal of reblued Winchesters lately. It struck me odd that folks are willing to walk away from a original older reblued classic model rifle....and yet, be willing to pay twice as much for a modern reproduction version of the same gun, from a foreign maker.....

It just does not make a whole lotta sense... :roll:

Orignal Reblue vs Replica...what do you guys think?

giz
Some folks have to have a BNIB gun whether it is a replica or an antique. I like a gun with honest wear or character. Okay, I am cheap enough that I can't pay for the nice guns and can only afford the beaters. Sometimes the characters clean up and sometimes they don't.

I have a Winchester 1895 with a bit of character.

·
Registered
19,777 Posts
My 98%, original finish, Winchester 94 was bought years ago......so it wasn't that expensive. Now, it probably would cost more.

In older guns, I don't mind a refinished gun, since I buy nice condition shooters, anyway.......if it was done well.......and priced lower, because of the refinish.....I'm OK with it! ;)

Not being a collecter, I'm not particularly worried about the future value. I like a low price......right now!!!! :lol: Bob

·
Super Moderator
8,955 Posts
I would rather have a restored gun, but price would be a factor for me.

·
Registered
1,839 Posts
I guess I'm the odd man out here. I don't buy guns with the thought of resale value, I've sent a few to turnbull for case coloring that are much better looking than factory. My guns will be passed down to my sons. As fore replicas the jap copy's of the Winchesters are better than the original. :mrgreen:

·
Registered
2,681 Posts
A good buy is a good buy... ;)
That being said - and this is JMO - I much prefer a nicely-done restoration to a reproduction.

I'm always happy to find a good professional restoration of an expensive firearm I intend to carry and shoot - at a small fraction of the cost of a well-worn original-condition example. I'm really happy if I find an older professional restoration with some honest wear-and-tear. Those are usually even lower in price. :)

I dearly love superb original high-condition classic firearms, and I have a few - but I rarely take them out in bad or iffy weather. A nice restored example solves that problem.

While I believe that anyone can do with their firearms whatever they want.....I don't particularly care for this growing trend of sending off good working classic firearms to have them Turnbulled to enhance the condition for saleability. Some of these collectors/investors think of this restoration process as a factory upgrade...and you can see this fairly often on the auction 'sites. I'm like Mr. Pierce - I've had a bit of restoration and improvement done to a few of my own never-sell firearms. The kids are already trying to call "dibs" on 'em! :)

xtm

·
Registered
1,839 Posts
Xtm I have a number of Colt and Winchesters that I will defiantly leave the way I bought them. But I have a real weak spot for Marlins, don't ask why I just do. Their is just something about those Ballards and 39's 1895's that I love. My wife is the smith&Wesson collector, and god help me if I do anything to her guns. :eek:

·
Registered
19,777 Posts
XTM............ kfjdrfirii ;) I prefer lower priced shooters and hunting rifles and shotguns.....but also, having nice lookin' guns. ;) None of my guns is less then 90%......except my M-36 carry gun, about 80%. I don't care if it is refinished, as long as it was done well.......but, I don't own a refinished gun. Bob

·
Registered
2,681 Posts
As a side note, Larry DelGrego was refinishing Parker Bros. shotguns to like-new condition decades ago. Back then, serious Parker shotgun fans avoided them like the plague - except as shooters. Several collectors I knew would buy 'em at a severe discount - below what they would've paid for it before it was sent to the DelGrego shop! :D

I've noticed on various auction 'sites that DelGrego-refinished Parkers now command much more respect and sellers demand a hefty premium over an "unknown" refinish job! :) To boost its gravitas, there is often a comment in the description, "....previous owner says he thinks his uncle had it 'restored' by Larry DelGrego, Sr." Time levels all mountains and heals all wounds.....

In the gun collecting future, mebbe all these Turnbull refinish jobs will command a premium too? ;)

xtm

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I have a octagon 1894 Winchester Take Down that was shortened by about 4" in it's lifetime. The gun would be near high condition if it were correct. When they shortened the barrel, they did not relocate the mag tube hanger. It's been eliminated. The radius slot for the mag tube take down lever was never cut into the shortened barrel. So the gun is already altered.

Mike Hunter of Hunter Restorations is going to do the restoration work. The barrel will be slotted with a radial cutter to accept the mag tube hanger. On the takedowns, this is not a pinned dovetail. The hanger actually is removable and turns into place. He is also providing the proper hanger. Finally he will cut the slot in the underside of the barrel to accept the lever lug. No refinishing will be needed. My gun will be an acceptable representation of a special order version of the 94 Takedown when he's done...

giz

·
Registered
6,488 Posts
Are you going to go ahead and recut the forend tendon and install a correct, shorter forend as well? Didn't we already talk about this? I can't recall.....

·
Registered
19,777 Posts
On guns like old Winchesters, the only way to restore 'em......is the correct way. No half-arsed, fly-by-night, gunsmiths. I am glad to see that Giz is having them restored by good people that know exactly what to do!!!! Good for you, Giz!!!! kfjdrfirii Bob

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Sebago Son said:
Are you going to go ahead and recut the forend tendon and install a correct, shorter forend as well? Didn't we already talk about this? I can't recall.....
Drew,

No, I'm leaving the original forend at the 9+ inch length. It will be a dead giveaway that the gun has been modified. Putting the shorter forend on it would be to close to faking the original gun into something it's not. The gun is later then the records detail. And it would be easy to pass it off as something it is not. I've detailed my plan for this one over at the Leverguns forum. If I sell it, I will make sure that the buyer knows it is a put together gun....

BobK...

Thanks, I appreciate the comment. I'm trying to make the gun correct....even though it will never really be right. ;)

But I'll bet it'll be one heck of a shooter when all is said and done!

giz

1 - 20 of 31 Posts