Smith And Wesson Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently inherited a S&W .22 long rifle CTG with what appears to be a 4inch barrel. Everything I'm finding so far has a 6 inch. The numbers also have no accompanied letters. Just the number 89361. Sorry I didn't include pics with this to begin with. My phone literally died seconds after I posted this. It has a few scratches on the right side of the barrel and has a small spot of rust. The wooden grips are in great shape and the gun is in really good working condition.

Attachments

·
Registered
153 Posts
It looks like a Model 17, maybe a pre M17, called the K-22 Masterpiece. It should have a "K" in the SN, you may need to remove the stocks (grips) and look on the bottom of the butt frame. The K may have a gap between it and the rest of the number. Is there a screw at the front of the trigger guard? If so, it is a 4-screw gun. It could also be a Model 18, also called the K22 Combat Masterpiece. Open the yoke and take pictures of the yoke cut in the frame, if it is post-1957, the model number would be stamped there, as well as the serial number.

·
Registered
15,684 Posts
I recently inherited a S&W .22 long rifle CTG with what appears to be a 4inch barrel. Everything I'm finding so far has a 6 inch. The numbers also have no accompanied letters. Just the number 89361. Sorry I didn't include pics with this to begin with. My phone literally died seconds after I posted this. It has a few scratches on the right side of the barrel and has a small spot of rust. The wooden grips are in great shape and the gun is in really good working condition.
You will have to remove the grips to see the serial number. It is on the bottom of the grip frame. Nice looking revolver!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It looks like a Model 17, maybe a pre M17, called the K-22 Masterpiece. It should have a "K" in the SN, you may need to remove the stocks (grips) and look on the bottom of the butt frame. The K may have a gap between it and the rest of the number. Is there a screw at the front of the trigger guard? If so, it is a 4-screw gun. It could also be a Model 18, also called the K22 Combat Masterpiece. Open the yoke and take pictures of the yoke cut in the frame, if it is post-1957, the model number would be stamped there, as well as the serial number.
Yes it has a screw at the front of the trigger guard. The numbers appear to have a 7 underneath.
You will have to remove the grips to see the serial number. It is on the bottom of the grip frame. Nice looking revolver!
Thank you

·
Super Moderator
14,096 Posts
Welcome to the forum. Nice revolver.

You can and should remove the rust by using well oiled 0000 fine steel or bronze wool on a well oiled surface. Gently rub the area and it will remove the red iron oxide, and should leave the blued surface alone.

If you leave it like it is, it will get pitting may already have developed some). Finish by using some spray preserving gun oil (something like RemOil - definitely NOT WD40, which is a water displacement chemical). and wiping it with a soft absorbent cloth.

Store it in a silicone gun sock or zipper gun case.

·
Registered
3,182 Posts
All 17's except those made at the very last had 6 in barrels. So no way is that a model 17. It's an early model 18. The pre-18's were called the Combat Masterpiece and had 5 screws. ALL prer 18's had 5 screws. All pre-18' and 18's were manufactured from 1949 t0 1985. In 1985 the mdl 17 was offered with a 4" barrel. The barrel was not tapered and had a wide grooved rib on top.

·
Registered
31,590 Posts
A nice looking revolver and one that anybody would love to have in their collection. Enjoy and if not said before...welcome to the forum!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts