Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Asked for opinions about buying this gun recently. Thanks to everyone the responded.

While many of the opinions were negative (old is better; the Classic in particular is junk) I decided to pull the trigger (ha, ha) and shot the new revolver for the first time this week. True to form, the trigger sucked and the cylinder didn't cycle properly in DA. I almost didn't accept delivery because of the cylinder cycling issue. It was a beautiful woman with a bad disposition. The finish work outside is fantastic as expected. Knock out. How about the problems??

Long story short, it was an easy fix. The cycling problem had the gunsmith a little concerned at first but it got handled.The cylinder was too tight in the frame. Once that was addressed the trigger sear, etc required "polishing." No parts required. Repair bill? Sixty bucks. That's it. Out of the box, the SA trigger is 4 ponds; DA 7 pounds. Both are now smooth as a baby's butt. Accuracy? Too soon to rate; I thought someone had slipped drugs in my coffee at first. Don't believe there was an attempt to zero the sights at the factory. After adjustment at 15 yards, the final 3 shot group was 1/2" - seemed OK out to 35 yards bench shooting. By the way, the gunsmith says that most pistols out of the box require some kind of trigger work.

I have a good gunsmith fortunately. Considering most new pistols out of the box have issues, buying any new handgun in this price range is a bit of a crap shoot.

For what it's worth, I'm just an average shooter. Off-hand 20 - 25 yards at most; bench shooting to 50 yards; with decent accuracy. A bit early to know for sure, but for $817 Total cost, I'm happy. I suspect the gun is better than I am. ;)

·
Registered
725 Posts
I love my Classic , I have had no problem what so ever with mine , I added some Badger grips and there you go a fine shooter

Attachments

·
Registered
23,200 Posts
As a retired gunsmith I find it fundamentally wrong to have to work on a new gun to make it work right. I do action jobs on my favorites to make them smoother & lighter but they should function perfectly out of the box. It sounds like your gunsmith did a good job polishing the action & you got you moneys worth for that, $60 for an action job is very reasonable.

·
Registered
12,721 Posts
New guns, just like used guns require a good inspection before purchase. Some are great and some have problems regardless of age or brand.
Glad you guys are happy with you 586s. I have 2, 686s with the lock and one without and think they are all great guns

·
Premium Member
2,542 Posts
Sorry you had a problem with yours. Mine was great out of the box, but I admit that I hand picked it. My dealer had three in stock, I had them bring all three out. None were "bad," but I took the one I thought was "best" of the three.

Mine was one of the very first and I paid about what you've got in yours. I forget exactly how much now.

I need to get it back to the range, but I can say that about most of my guns.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I believe I was one who advised to go ahead and get the Classic Model 19.

Sorry it was not OK or perfect out of the box.

My first reaction was to return it to your dealer if local and have him send it
back to Smith for adjustment, or return it yourself to Smith.

I know, new gun and you wanted to get at it so I'm glad yur gunsmith was
able to take care of you. The weight on the DA indicated he did a lot more
for you than Smith would have done.

Facttory triggers at 12 to 14 pounds are the norm. That ensures ignition with
iffy ammo and very hard primers. I am used to them being that heavy as long
as the pull is smooth. But I also have a few Smiths with DA weights around
7 to 8 pounds and they go bang all the time as well.

Enjoy!!!!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

Enjoy!!!!
Uncle Ed-

Your comments were one of a few that made me step up. The DA/SA triggers were out of the box; that's why no parts or a "complete trigger job" wasn't necessary. Got it From Buds. Couldn't inspect it, but could have not accepted it from the FFL. Thanks for your help...thrilled so far.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Sorry you had a problem with yours. Mine was great out of the box, but I admit that I hand picked it. My dealer had three in stock, I had them bring all three out. None were "bad," but I took the one I thought was "best" of the three.

Mine was one of the very first and I paid about what you've got in yours. I forget exactly how much now.

I need to get it back to the range, but I can say that about most of my guns.

Thanks, CajunBass. Your comments were well made. You are someone else said, "It's a crap shoot with new guns." As it was, but man, sweet gun and the SAME Day fix for sixty bucks? Thanks again for your sage advice.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

Enjoy!!!!
I worry a bit about about the light 7 - 8 lb DA trigger weight. However, my gunsmith has life time warranties for his trigger work. (Assuming you don't do anything stupid.) I've tested the warranty and it's true. He did a trigger job on my AR in 2015 and did a tune up this year, minor, but he honored the warranty. An Old School sort of guy.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts