Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How difficult is it to replace the pinned front sight on a S&W revolver. I want to install an optic. Is it something I could tackle or take it to a gunsmith?

Thanks
Alan

·
Premium Member
1,861 Posts
The fiber optic blade needs to drilled to install the pin also need to know POI of your revolver for sight height needed. There are You Tube videos and Dawson has information . I looked at replacing sights on my 686 but wasn't really needed so kept as is , a little dab of Red paint works great.

·
Registered
23,436 Posts
If you're halfway handy it's not a big job. Drive the pin out right to left, replace pins left to right & note one end is tapered. If you don't have the correct size punch, drill bit & a padded vice you can have a gunsmith do it cheaper than buying or making the tools.

Reactions: jeepnut

·
Registered
11,332 Posts
jb59 and Injunbro have pretty much covered the task at hand. Drilling a hole for the new blade can be interesting because that small of a drill bit is hard to 'chuck' into a drill, I had to order the bit online, local hardware stores don't carry anything that small. I also had to buy a miniature chuck that itself chucks into any of my drill motors. That accomplished, the biggest piece of work was fitting the sight for the barrel slot. It took me a lot of stoning in order to get it to 1; slip into the slot sideways because the sight was too wide. Then 2; stoning enough off the bottom so it can sit vertically in the slot. Once I got the fit where I wanted it, I put the sight in, placed the gun in a padded vise, then I used the new drilling rig to drill through the new sight, using the factory pin holes in the barrel as my guide. Here's my one and only experiment doing this, it's a Model 60-9.

Left.JPG Right.JPG

·
Premium Member
2,975 Posts
Also when drilling the new sight, it's best to drill a little bit at a time, back and forth from each side, until the holes meet in the center.

This way you'll run much less of a chance of getting a misalignment of the pin holes, if you just drill from one side.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the advice guys. I just finished the job. Here's how it went:
Removing the factory sight was easy. For a punch, I got a large sewing needle form my wifes sewing room. It measured .046" dia. I ground the point off and tapped out the roll pin. It worked perfectly.
The problem was the new front sight. It didn't match the slot, so I spent 2-3 hours grinding and filing to make it fit. Proper tools would have helped here.
Drilling to pin the new sight was a breeze. The #54 bit cost me $1.99 at my local hardware store. I drilled from both sides like you suggested. Used B&D battery hand drill and hit it perfectly! Took me all of 5 Minutes.
Tomorrow I'm heading to the range to sight it in.
All together...not a bad job.
Thanks again.

·
Premium Member
68 Posts
Also when drilling the new sight, it's best to drill a little bit at a time, back and forth from each side, until the holes meet in the center.

This way you'll run much less of a chance of getting a misalignment of the pin holes, if you just drill from one side.
Great advice

·
Registered
2 Posts

Thank You sir great advice just - finished a new front on my 657
This thread was very helpfull

·
Premium Member
2,975 Posts
Removing the factory sight was easy. For a punch, I got a large sewing needle form my wifes sewing room. It measured .046" dia. I ground the point off and tapped out the roll pin. It worked perfectly.
The problem was the new front sight. It didn't match the slot, so I spent 2-3 hours grinding and filing to make it fit. Proper tools would have helped here.
Drilling to pin the new sight was a breeze. The #54 bit cost me $1.99 at my local hardware store. I drilled from both sides like you suggested. Used B&D battery hand drill and hit it perfectly! Took me all of 5 Minutes.
Thanks again.
That's great fellas... glad to hear my advice helped out! I learned technique that the hard way, when I did my first front sight replacement and botched it. I found that frilling advice on the other S&W forum years ago.

·
Premium Member
2,975 Posts
Thanks again.
That's great fellas... glad to hear my advice helped out! I learned that the hard way when I did my first front sight replacement and botched it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Thanks again.
I am curious to know how the sighting in went. I put a higher XS front sight on my wife's Lady Smith Mdl 60 (no rear sight), and the dang thing shoots 3-4" low at 15 ft. now! Back to the old sight or a lower one i guess.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts