Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I picked up a used 25-2 with the barrel cut to 4 inches with a screw on ramp sight for IDPA use. I want to restore it to stock. I see a barrel in the Gun Parts catalog listed as 6 inch. I really want an original pinned barrel at 6 1/2 inches. Is this a misprint or did they make 2 lengths for the auto rim? If S&W did make 2 lengths, where is the best place to get a 6 1/2 incher?

·
Registered
18 Posts
It probably isn't a misprint. The earlier barrels were 6 1/2", but sometime in the late '70s they changed to 6". What they are advertising is probably one of the later barrels.

·
Registered
6,488 Posts
Clem's got it right..... the 6" Barrel became standard about the same time the 25-5 .45 Colt's became available. The pinned barrel went away some 5 years later. Therefore, any 6 1/2" tube you find should be a pinned, non-crush fit barrel.

I would call Jack First in Rapid City, SD. He can be crotchety over the phone, but his daughter is pretty good. Jack's a little long in the tooth, a USMC WW2 Vet and quite a character. He got alot of stuff there that cannot be found anyplace else on the planet.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Hi,

I'd advertise your old barrel here in the classifieds for trade, as some folks are always looking to chop their 25-2 barrel down to 3 or 3 1/4" . . . Jovino-style, and this would keep 'em from chopping a stock barrel, while also allowing you to restore your 25-2 to original condition. A win-win all the way around.

Here's my 3 1/4" tubed M25-2 . . . my favorite handgun of all time. Not stock . . . but my favorite revolver of all time.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Or to save the labor costs, see if someone might be interested in trading revolvers. That would save labor cost and maybe make someone else happy also.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts