Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,801 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Y'all 'member that rifle I used to drop a bear with two shots? No? Oh, well, it was mentioned in another post on another thread in a different forum (Ammo & Reloading). Does that ring a bell? Hahaha. Okay, the rifle was/is a Savage Model 99F in .308 Winchester.

The front sight, when I bought it many moons ago, was broken. The top bead had been broken off, but it still hit what I aimed at. Good enough for a technologically challenged Injun, right? Actually, I'm just too damned lazy to do real work. Fits right in with the stereotype, don't it? ;) I got tired of looking at it and decided to pound it out and replace the Marble's sight with a Savage front sight. After a couple of whacks with a drift and an 8 pound sledge hammer I decided that I was gonna cause a whole lot more damage than I could afford to get fixed by a real gunsmith.

I ordered a Williams front sight remover/installer (I think that's what its called) from Brownell's. Pretty neat neat little tool that removes dove-tailed front sights from a ramp. Cool! Well, anyhow, I ordered it on the 22nd and it got here yesterday, the 25th. How quick is that? Went to the gun room this morning, grabbed the rifle, squinted at the front sight, the tool, aligned it on the ramp and sight and began twisting the handle. Whoa! That joker came out slicker than snot on a brass door knob. The new sight went in just as smooth as a baby's butt. The whole process took less than five minutes from start to finish.

I'm so proud I just can't stand it! I'm going out and shoot that sucker today.

·
Registered
6,488 Posts
Now that it's all fixed up you probably won't be able to hit sh*t with it.... better crack the stock, wrap it in leather, wet shrink the leather, drive in some brass tacks to hold it all in place, then you'll be fine.... ;)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts