Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5,205 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently the hammer nose broke on my 19-4. I ordered replacement parts. All seemed well.

Have just installed the new hammer nose. Put the hammer back into the revolver.

Cycles and functions perfectly.

Only problem ... hammer nose is to short, i.e., with the hammer down in fired position, the hammer nose does not project through the recoil shield.

I was not aware that there would be different lengths of hammer noses for K-frame revolvers, especially one as late as a 19-4.

Does anyone know where a correct longer K-frame hammer nose can be purchased?

Sincerely.

Bruce

·
Registered
2,043 Posts
It shouldn't protrude through the hole in the recoil shield EXCEPT for a fraction of a second when the hammer actually falls. It should immediately rebound and retract back into the hole.
Insert a 1/2" wide strip of thin cardboard like from a cerial or tissue box in between the cylinder and recoil shield in front of the hammer and operate it single action. Remove the strip and look to see if the hammer nose punched a hole in it.

·
Premium Member
792 Posts
If you can do so easily, put a cartridge or two in the cylinder and see if they work. The ultimate test. Cardboard works too, but you get no burnt powder smell!

·
Registered
3,522 Posts
If you pull the trigger and don't release it you should be able to see the hammer nose protruding through the frame. When you release the trigger the boss on top of the slide forces the hammer back to a safe position.

·
Registered
9,122 Posts
Bruce mate, a couple in the chamber in a shooting environment.one in double action one in single... you’ll know..

Thewelshm

·
Registered
1,717 Posts
Me, I'd probably size a couple of cases and prime them. Then to the shed out back, close the door and test.
Cliff

·
Registered
5,205 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Looks like a correct hammer nose and rivet is on the way! Happy! Happy! Happy! Sincerely. bruce.

·
Registered
6,968 Posts
Hey Bruce,

Good for you.

Power Custom & Apex make good parts (do not know if they make firing pins for your K Frame?)

Later, Mark

·
Registered
5,205 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hey Bruce,

Good for you.

Power Custom & Apex make good parts (do not know if they make firing pins for your K Frame?)

Later, Mark
Thank you for the links. If the new parts being sent do not work, I'll just order the Power hammer nose kit. Since it is a bit longer than the OEM hammer nose, there should be no problem with protrusion, etc. Sincerely. bruce.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts