Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, it was a successful Rendevous for the Ancient Ones. Still going on til tomorrow Monday morning. Guessing there was about 25 camps set up. Lots of events ~ Smoothbore, Rifle, Longbow, Hawk and Knife throwing contests. Food and company were super.... Temps did dip down below freezing last night, and we awoke to ice scimming the water buckets. But as soon as the sun came-up things warmed up quickly. I was comfortable in my tent with two Hudson Bay blankets to keep me warm. Made some new friends and got to visit with some old ones... :D

Learned from a pro how to properly cook in a oven pit. Had some Chicken Frittata, banana bread, and some other deserts cooked in that oven and they were delicious... ;)

Then onto the Lobster feed. 80 Lobsters so everyone could have one, corn on the cob and potatoes... Hmmmmm...

giz

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Re: Rendevous Pics....

Woman and Children. Probably had about a dozen youngsters along. Lots of fun with the kids. We run a Ladies night and the single gals, and mothers do events along with the kids. It's a blast...

The gals definitely are equals to the men with many particapting in the shooting events. The Ancient Ones has been at it for 30 years and the kids are replacing the original members. Nice to see 3 generations of the same family tree all enjoying the re-enactment aspects of the 'vous....

giz

·
Registered
20,143 Posts
Looks like a great time, Giz!!! ;) You're eatin' real good too. Gonna get colder tonight. Where's your wife??? You need your lady to keep you warm! I'm guessing that she doesn't share your enthusiasm.;) Bob

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Bob,

Jules showed up at sunrise this morning. We had breakfast cooked over one of my braziers...bacon, steak, and eggs. She visited with my friends and really enjoyed it.. :) Think she really like the dutch oven setup's around camp.

giz

·
Registered
1,801 Posts
What, no pictures of you in your Maine Mountain Man outfit?

Well, I'm disappointed. Guess you weren't hairy enough to fool the camera lens.

Great pictures, though. I love stuff like that. I know those dutch-oven tricks. Been doin' that since I don't know when. If I ever get up that way I'll fix you some of my World Famous Rootin-Tootin Gawd-Awful Nasty Buzzard Chili (WFRTGANBC) in one of them things.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Here ya' go QC... :mrgreen:

Me arriving just after dawn..

giz

·
Registered
3,121 Posts
Giz,
You had me at "...bacon, steak and eggs..." !!
hpzl;n; ijfpfnfna kjdfjemnd
Don

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Share with you folks a little 'Vous story from this year....And Dear God please don't try this one at home. On the first page you see pics of the Lobster boiler running. Here's the backstory...imagine two 13 year old boys trapped in 57 year old bodies.... :lol:

The Booshway (Leader) and Secundo(2nd in charge) decided to light the kindling in a big manner..So they secretly tested lighting 2fg black powder with a striker. Not your ordinary lil' bit O' powder...oh no! They started with 1/2 lb. Which gave a pretty good flash bang out in the middle of a open road. Well then, if'n a half pound is good...then dagnabitt ~ a whole pound has to be better... And so they tried it. That was quite a nice little whoosh bang... :)

Comes time to light the fire under the kettle ( Think 330 gal. oil drum cut in half ) and they have all the kindling set. They call everyone together to watch the lighting of the fire.... Now our fearless Booshway really wants a show stopper so he puts 2 lbs of blackpowder down. Expecting a really nice smoke show.

Picture this in your minds eye...the Booshway posed to hit the flint to the striker and the Secundo leaning in looking over his shoulder....They hit the spark and the powder ignites...with enough force and flame to knock the two of them backwards smartly. Huge fire cloud from a Nuke comes to mind....

Little singed eyebrows and beards later...one looks at the other and asks "How do we top that next year...?????" The other answers..."Obviously, somebody's gotta die..!!!!!" :mrgreen:

giz

·
Super Moderator
8,963 Posts
LOL, great story and cool pitcures Giz!!

·
Registered
502 Posts
Yes, great story and photos. Is that your camp cooksite in the first group of photos?

·
Registered
1,801 Posts
Ha! Yeah, I used to know people who knew someone as crazy as those two, but they made me leave. I didn't like them anyway.

:shock: Two pounds of black!? Whoa, not even I'm that crazy. :p

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
daytime dave said:
Yes, great story and photos. Is that your camp cooksite in the first group of photos?
Dave,

Mine is in the second group. It's a 10X10 Bell Wedge on the far right. I staked the corners and put it up...unstretched. Was letting it relax before stacking the bell and the other 14 stake points to fully set it up ~ when I snapped the picture... New tent this year and I didn't bring a Fly for it. Definitely will do so next Spring at the next Vous I go to. I have a small Diamond and a oil ground cloth for everything else. Much prefer to go light and be able to carry everything on back or in my possible and haversack...

giz

·
Super Moderator
33,351 Posts
That does look like it would be a lot of fun. I love the outdoors. :)

·
Registered
20,143 Posts
White pants!!!! :eek: No self respectin' Mountainman would be caught in those Giz!!!! 'lessin' you know something that I don't! :lol: Bob

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
BobK

Linen pants with no pockets. Have to laugh as they do look white in the pic. Must have been the flash. Try living a few days without pockets! :eek:

I'm ordering a set of breeches and having a set of deerskin leggings made next.... ;)

giz

1 - 20 of 22 Posts