Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
4 Posts
I use this CH4D Primer Pocket Crimp Swager Tool. There are other tools available.

Reactions: paulwv and msharley

·
Registered
2,019 Posts
Some say ream, some say swag. It's largely a matter of preference. A lot like crimping bullets in the seating step or in a separate step.

Reactions: paulwv and msharley

·
Registered
6,958 Posts
What’s the best way to remove the primer pocket crimp?
Hey Paul,

Dillon 1050. LOL (swages primer pocket on Station #2)

Before I had the 1050, I used (still have) the most excellent CH4D Tool that Rusty uses. Environment Test

I still use it on Mil/Surp rifle brass.

It will also do a bang up job of seating primers (for that "Hunt of a Lifetime" ammo) perfectly.

Dillon also makes a primer pocket swage tool... https://www.dillonprecision.com/super-swage-600_8_8_25263.html Once set up, it is very fast!

Hope this helps.

Later, Mark

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
I use a hand reamer--Lyman, I think (has a large wooden handle). It "works," but takes some effort, & seating primers with a Lee hand tool takes two-hands pressure, so the pocket is still tight. Have been thinking of getting a bench-mounted primer seater, but prefer using the Lee tool while watching TV.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I use the RCBS swagger on my Rockchucker. Really kind of a PITA. Have to line the brass up so the rod goes in. Seems like no matter what I do, I have to slap the arm to get the swagger to release the brass. It does work and didn't cost much.

·
Registered
2,966 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks guys. I had to order new 223 brass...had several loading with the old brass I have...time for new brass, and of course, the factory ammo I bought after getting my AR had crimped primer pockets.
Thanks again

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
Thanks guys. I had to order new 223 brass...
My F&G Club range currently has SIX 5-gal buckets each at least 3/4 full of (mostly) .223 brass, shot up by the Deputies & State Troopers who practice at our range; it's waiting for someone to take it to the nearest scrap buyer, about 50 m. away. Nobody around here (apparently) reloads, because the factory ammo is so cheap. Wish someone like you could make better use of it than selling it for scrap.

·
Registered
149 Posts
I've reamed and swaged. I prefer swaging using the RCBS swage die set. It's a little slow and requires good technique and patience but provides consistent results. I process a hundred pieces of brass from time to time, not hundreds.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts