Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
747 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is good to use to remove bluing from a steel gun?
I have an old used police Remington 870 to work on.

·
Registered
1,839 Posts
Hi catdad This is the methed I used for taking the blue off of the guns my wife was going to engrave.put a 10 percent solutionof sulphuric acid and water in a pyrex dish bring to a boil, now just swab with a wool cloth. Rinse off with fresh water. This methed takes the old bluing and rust off.

·
Registered
570 Posts
another method i use is a mix of muratic acid & water..... (always add acid to water not water to acid)... i usually mix up a five gallon bucket.. 2 cups of acid to 4 gallons of water...( stronger mixed is faster acting )... but anyhow...... just dip... swish.. spray off with water. can be done hot or cold...... but always outside...
it get's into all the little nooks & crannies ..

(muratic acid is use for adjusting the PH in swimming pools & also used for etching & cleaning concreat...and can be found at most hardware stores....)

·
Registered
1,801 Posts
I just carry it a lot in the field. Takes a long time, but I'm patient.

Handguns - not so long if carried in a holster and handled a lot. But, I'm methodical and very determined. It's taken me over thirty years to get a Colt Single Action Army to look good.

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
Catdad, go buy a Birchwood-Casey rebluing kit. has a good cleaner/degreaser, a very good rust and bluing remover and a good cold-bluing solution. I recommend it to alot of Customers that want to touch up a gun or reblue a cylinder, one guy reblued an entire .22 rifle, came out really nice. Works very well, just follow directions. runs about fifteen dollars.

·
Registered
600 Posts
+1 on the Birchwood-Casey. Just be sure and use it in a well ventilated area. I was using it on a small part on my kitchen table and left the cap off and within five minutes my nose started bleeding. Very potent stuff.

·
Super Moderator
11,056 Posts
Quarter Cherokee said:

Handguns - not so long if carried in a holster and handled a lot. But, I'm methodical and very determined. It's taken me over thirty years to get a Colt Single Action Army to look good.
My method of choice is blood. Works every time.

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
Quarter Cherokee said:

Flat bastard file will work also but it takes a lot of rubbin'. njgapjgj

·
Super Moderator
19,540 Posts
Believe it or not Nevr'Dull will wipe bluing right off a barrel.
Don't ask me how I know.

Then all you need is rubbing alcohol to wipe off the petroleum solvents and you should be good to go pretty quick.

·
Registered
9 Posts
+1 on the muriatic acid/water mix. We used it at the shop to strip guns of blueing before metal polishing. Works great. Just don't leave it in the acid any longer than it takes to strip the blueing; it WILL etch the metal, and will eventually pit and then eat away the metal. It will also eat away skin, so be sure to use heavy duty gloves and eye protection!

·
Registered
197 Posts
most of the time the "blood, coke or Pepsi ,etc will leave streaks OR spots...... kubvcabo
the acid solution or even Naval Jelly will work, otherwise got buff & polish it off.... kfjdrfirii

1 - 17 of 17 Posts