Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Picked up a good one. All matching numbers in excellent conditon. One of the finest that I've handled. Pics when the weather improves. ;)

Anyone here know of a accurate listing for SN's for the Remington Rands?

giz

·
Super Moderator
32,471 Posts
I need the same job that Giz has! :shock:

Buying up:

Antique Winchester lever actions...

Colt 1911 Remington Rands...

I like your tastes in firearms! ;)

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Truthfully, the Remington Rand was the one 45 that I've always wanted to own, but couldn't justify the asking prices. I was at a small gunshop looking for Winchesters and the owner and I got into a long conversation about guns. Long story short, we got onto the topic of WWII 45 Colts. He said wait a second, went out back and had the RR in his hand. He wanted half of what it was worth... By this time, a small group of guys had gathered. And, if I didn't anti up, ~ there was a line forming to my right...

Just a case of being in the right place, at the right time... ;)

giz

·
Registered
10,918 Posts
If you have not found these numbers yet, from "Handguns of the World" by Edward C. Ezell
Remington-Rand
1942 26,257
1943 98,518
1944 557,225
1945 350,000

Remington-Rand serial blocks
1279699 - 1441430 1943
1471431 - 1609528 1943
1890504 - 2075103 1944
2134404 - 2619013 1945
Good catch Giz, it's found a good home!
Itresting that you have no thought of owning a Singer

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Mick,

I have a friend that has a Singer... :eek:

It is the only one that I have ever seen. It is about the same condition as my gun. He also owns the largest Winchester collection you can imagine...

My gun is at the end of the production. Last run of 1945

giz

·
Registered
2,377 Posts
Gizamo said:
Mick,

I have a friend that has a Singer... :eek:

It is the only one that I have ever seen. It is about the same condition as my gun. He also owns the largest Winchester collection you can imagine...

My gun is at the end of the production. Last run of 1945

giz
Giz, Now you need a USS to go with her too!

·
Registered
1,801 Posts
I have a friend - a fellow collector - who's coming to town in February and is bringing a couple of Union Switch & Signal 1911A1s. Says he'll let me look at them and that they're arsenal re-builds. Don't know what that means - probably not good. I think he wants to sell one or both. If I latch on to one I'll let y'all know.

·
Registered
1,839 Posts
QC Their is not a world 2 gun worth it's salt that is not a arsenal rebuild.If you find one that is in pristine condition their is probably some hankypanky going on. ;)

·
Registered
1,801 Posts
Yeah, I know what you mean. I've seen a few that have very obviously been re-built/restored with all "correct" parts by some unscrupulous collectors and passed off as "all original." Very hard to detect and verify. My friend is not one of those. He didn't elaborate when he described them, but I assume there are some alien parts floating around in there some where. ;)

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Personally, I just as soon have a armory gun in decent condition that shoots well. I'm still looking for a miss matched gun in about 40-50% condition due to finish loss ~ yet still runs right. That would make a heck of a carry gun. They are out there and cans still be had for less then 7 Franklins.

If you really want a 1911 from the war years, be prepared to do alot of homework. Knowing the proof marks, inspector marks, shipment marks, barrel marking can get you close, ~ yet still get you in trouble. ;)

giz

1 - 12 of 12 Posts