Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have any experience with these plinkers? I just picked one up at my local gun shop, just because. $160.00 otd may be a bit high, but I was intrigued... It is in very good condition, save for the magazine, which looks like it has been chewed on by the previous owners puppy. All i can figure so far is that it is the Mohawk model, serial number 2539xxx. What are your thoughts?? (Besides "You payed way too much" :mrgreen: )

·
Registered
2,677 Posts
I remember when they were a dime a dozen and had one when I was a kid. My dad swapped it off on another gun deal. It was a ok little gun I shot a lot of gophers with it and it was pretty accurate. I was amazed a while back when I found out they were collectors items now.
Be careful about leaving them in the sun if your out camping or something though, the stock will warp. Im not kidding I seen one that was left in a pick up gun rack that warped all out of wack.

·
Super Moderator
10,855 Posts
I believe Sip may have something to say about your recent purchase, Chris. No joking, I think he is rather fond of his, if memory serves.

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
O.K. ... I learned a little bit more, this internet thing is pretty handy. It is a Remington Mohawk 10c. the production stamp puts it at October 1975. It has the 10rd magazine, not the tube fed nylon 66 version. Remington also claims it will fire .22 short and .22 long. I think I'll just stick with the .22LR

Everything is "Nylon" or Dupont Zytel or something along those lines. the receiver is even nylon, and never needs lubricating. Pretty neat. Even if only for a conversational piece...

·
Super Moderator
8,955 Posts
Here is my Apace Black, I can probably get up wards of 3 bills for it. This rifle is extremely accurate. I am going to pick 2 Mohawk browns this weekend. I got them both for 2 bills.

·
Registered
2,340 Posts
Last year the pawn shops around here were lousy with them for about $125-$140. I didn't know they were collectible or I would have bought them all.

Haven't seen one in quite a while...

·
Registered
1,801 Posts
My brother had the Mohawk. Don't recall him ever having any problems with it. When he went afield with a .22 rifle, that was the one he took. I keep my eyes open, hoping to find one like he had. No luck, yet.

·
Registered
97 Posts
i like the Nylon 66 a lot. They are handy little guns. At this time the only one I have is the 10-C version like yours.

·
Registered
2,677 Posts
I am partial to any thing remington. I might have to pick one up after I get back to work.I liked the one I had when I was a kid.

·
Registered
58 Posts
there was a site for the nylon guns but it was down for a long time i think that thay are to be shot withvery little lube but i dont rememder where i read it i bought a brown 10-c last year its fun to shot if you go to the rimfire central sit you can find o lot of info

1 - 10 of 10 Posts