Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4,528 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After missing out on one a couple of years ago, I found another 799 in 7.62x39 a couple of weeks ago. Remington imported these guns from Serbia in 2005-08 I believe. It is basically a mini Mauser action. The rifle is fairly light even with the laminated stock. With Russian ammo, it shoot patterns at 100 yards, but with some Lapua I bought years ago, it turned in about 1 moa groups. I bought some dies and .310 Hornady bullets and I will start to reload soon. I do not have a precise way to measure the bore, but I think it is .310 or .311. I called Remington, but they just blew me off and the latest importer, EAA has not responded. Should be a good shorter range Bambi getter this fall. Rem 799 -001.jpg Rem 799 -002.jpg Rem 799 -003.jpg

·
Registered
7,583 Posts
If you want to measure the bore, use Cerro Safe. It is a soft metal that melts easy. You plug the bore ahead of the chamber, melt the cerro safe in the bore and when it cools knock the cerrosafe plug you just cast and mic the throat. That will give you the exact diameter of the bore next to the throat. I get my CerroSafe from Brownell's. You can read the directions better there this is just what I remember. JMO Hope this helps.:bluelogo:

·
Registered
23,200 Posts
The mini-Mauser action is a good one (even if it does have the Remington name on it). The 7.62x39 is a good hunting round for any ranges you'll be shooting in Georgia. It should make a pretty nice light hunting rifle. The only real reason to slug the bore is to find the right bullet diameter but you can do the same thing w/ a micrometer on the ammo that worked well, or tap a piece of soft lead like a sinker through the barrel & measure it. Russian ammo is notorious for it's inconsistency so bullet diameter might not even be the factor. Hardness/softness/diameter of the bullet & jackets matter somewhat in how it swages into the rifling but I'd bet most good ammo does pretty well out of that gun. I'd try a few brand then try to copy the loads or make up a few of each kind to see what it likes the best. When I was building custom rifles I found even 2 guns w/ identical parts occasionally liked different loads since there are countless factors that all affect accuracy. Thee trick is to keep @ it until you find the right combination for what you want.

·
Registered
3,461 Posts
Nice looking rifle. And I've always thought that the 7.62 x 39 cartridge had some sporting potential. Good lick with your project.

John

·
Registered
16,255 Posts
Very nice looking rifle. Congrats on getting second chance.

·
Registered
4,528 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I cleaned some brass cases and looked up load data yesterday. I plan to try the 123 Grain Hornady bullets I got from Midway. Based on the results with the Lapaua rounds, I have high hopes.

·
Premium Member
4,241 Posts
The mini-Mauser action is a good one (even if it does have the Remington name on it). The 7.62x39 is a good hunting round for any ranges you'll be shooting in Georgia. It should make a pretty nice light hunting rifle. The only real reason to slug the bore is to find the right bullet diameter but you can do the same thing w/ a micrometer on the ammo that worked well, or tap a piece of soft lead like a sinker through the barrel & measure it. Russian ammo is notorious for it's inconsistency so bullet diameter might not even be the factor. Hardness/softness/diameter of the bullet & jackets matter somewhat in how it swages into the rifling but I'd bet most good ammo does pretty well out of that gun. I'd try a few brand then try to copy the loads or make up a few of each kind to see what it likes the best. When I was building custom rifles I found even 2 guns w/ identical parts occasionally liked different loads since there are countless factors that all affect accuracy. Thee trick is to keep @ it until you find the right combination for what you want.
Hey InjunBro..A friend of mine who shoots cowboy action matches showed me how to run the soft lead aka sinker through the bore. My question..is that what is referred to as slugging the barrel. Just wondered as I've heard it mentioned. Be safe and God bless. Dick.

·
Registered
23,200 Posts
Hey InjunBro..A friend of mine who shoots cowboy action matches showed me how to run the soft lead aka sinker through the bore. My question..is that what is referred to as slugging the barrel. Just wondered as I've heard it mentioned. Be safe and God bless. Dick.
Yep, it's one of the best ways to get the exact bore of a given rifle since they do vary slightly in manufacturing, usually due to tool wear. Thanks for always adding a blessing, it's appreciated! (I need all the help I can get).

1 - 12 of 12 Posts