Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3,421 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since I have made up my mind to purchase a Triple Lock .44 Special (just waiting for the guy to get back in the store for the green light and FFL info), I was wondering if there is anyone who has ever shot any reloads through one, or similarly a Second Model HE in .44 Special. I would never use anything more powerful than the old 7.5 grains of Unique behind the 250 grain cast #429421 (and then only sparingly) and for standard loads, 6.0 grains of Unique with those same #429421 bullets. Anyone else load for these old guns?

·
Registered
90 Posts
Elmer Keith wrote that he used the same load in the 1st Mod 44 H.E. and the second model that he did in his 3rd model and 1950s.

I have no question EMK shot that ammo successfully... though I admit I'm not that brave with my old guns.

I like a 240 gr. Keith style bullet with about 7gr. of Unique for the older guns. It is a lot of fun to shoot and quite accurate.

This load should be just a little hotter than factory loads.

FWIW

Chuck

·
Registered
6,488 Posts
Chuck's on point here..... as usual. :p

Lyman No. 46 (from the mid-80's) lists the Lyman 429421 (245 Grn Keith SWC) and 6.9 Grns of Unique for 767 FPS as a Factory Duplication Load. I've shot this with ease and satisfaction in my New Century / "Triplelock" guns.

Addtiionally, my old dogearred Lyman No. 45 (I got it in 1974) lists the following loads:

Factory Duplication Load:

Lyman No. 4293383 (245 Grn Lead Round Nose) and 4.1 Grns. Bullseye for 697 FPS

Accuracy Load:

Lyman No. 429421 and 4.0 Grns. Bullseye for 689 FPS.

This is about as hard as I would push this fine old gun. Hotter loads may not shoot to those tiny little sights anyway.

Good Luck and hope this helps.

Drew

1 - 3 of 3 Posts