Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
12,228 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How is availability in your area? I got into reloading in early 2014. This was basically when things started to become readily available around here after the big guns and ammo buy out following the Sandy Hook shooting. Having just seen how fast things can dry up, I was determined to have what I needed on hand at all times to be able to shoot at my normal rate for at least a year. I am confident that I have that, and a bit more. I was able to get a pound of Win296 and 300 large pistol primers the other day, and got 500 small magnum pistol primers last week. I also just ordered 2900 Hi Tek coated bullets a few minutes ago.
From what I have seen, primers are hardest to find right now, specifically small pistol. That is where I miss Walmart. The one in my area carried CCI large and small pistol primers. I used to pick up 200-300 every couple weeks when I was in there getting groceries. Those dried up back in mid December last year and since they had announced they were getting out of the handgun ammo market, I knew there wouldnt be more. back in Febuary I was at an area gun shop sale, and got 2000 Federal small pistol primers, on sale for $28.90/1000. I wish now that I had purchased twice as many, but as I said, I am good for at least a year.
I have not even looked for powder. My friend was coming to town the other day and offered to stop a big shop along the way to get the pound of Win296 for me. I had checked online to insure they had it, but I didnt really look for any other powder. I have 8 unopened pound cannisters and another 4 that are around half full. That should hold me and with the bullets on order now, I will have enough lead.
Compared to many of you who have been loading for years, my stockpile is fairly small. Its hard to build up an inventory when you are going through 5000 rounds a year. I hope you all have what you need to keep the lead flying!

·
Registered
10,663 Posts
I buy components in bulk - primers by the sleeve of 5000, shotgun wads by the case of 5,000, powder in 8# jugs by the case of 2/case, shot by the hundredweight, bullets by the 1000 MINIMUM, case lots are preferred; .22lr by the case; looking for anything gun related right now will be hit and miss, and if you hit, you'd better grab what you can.

·
Registered
4,569 Posts
Not many vendors within 60+ miles of me even carry reloading supplies. I can order bullets online, but the hazmat fee keeps me from ordering powder and primers. One local store does have a decent supple of powder at $30 - 33 /pound, but primers and bullets are spotty. I need some more small rifle match primers, but mostly OK otherwise. Can't have too much though.

·
Registered
12,992 Posts
When Powder Valley or Natchezz offers free Hazmat on orders over XXX amount, I buy but not 1 pound cans. Always 8 pound jugs. Buying a pounder is like buying a 6 pack when a case is better, Have a few hundred pounds of propellants and who knows how many primers of all sizes on the shelf. In fact 2 years ago I had so many Winchester primers I gave a couple boxes to Gearchecker. Not 50 packs either, 1000 packs. Not overly fond of Winchester anything, especially primers. Winchester primer cups are hard. Federal cups, especially the Federal Gold Medal match primers have the softest cup followed by CCI, Winchester is dead last. No clue about any others like Wolf or Fiocchi, don't use them

Buy my pills in bulk too. I don't ever load lead so it's always FMJ's and in case quantity.

Get my Berger hunting pills in 250 pill cases and my Hornady handgun and rifle rounds in 250 or 500 lots. Same with Sierra. The more you buy the cheaper they are. When I was loading 223's I bought 10,000 Hornady 55 grain SPBT's and I don't have any left so you decide where they all went to.

Guess I'm a sucker for precise reloading too. I load everything on my RCBS Rockchucker single stage or my Reddding T8 Turret if I'm doing handgun rounds and I weigh every charge too. Every charge passes over my Ohaus triple beam scale and my electronic trickle with an electric eye for a most uniform charge and very consistent muzzle velocity.

Just touched off a group of 5 300 Win Mag rounds in Norma brass with 185 Bergers. Every round chrono'd within 5 FPS of the other, using my Euhler Chrono. The rounds were 4 years old.

How I roll...

·
Premium Member
10,388 Posts
No dealers with brick and mortar stores in town stock reloading supplies or equipment. It's pretty much all online ordering now.

I stock enough for a couple years of shooting. Tend to keep it that way as things get used up.

The gun shows have vendors showing up with supplies, and the last time I was at a show, prices were rising, but supplies were available. As the market shifts to ammunition manufacturers, expect some shortage for a year or two.

Reactions: Boriqua

·
Registered
2,631 Posts
When Powder Valley or Natchezz offers free Hazmat on orders over XXX amount, I buy but not 1 pound cans. Always 8 pound jugs. Buying a pounder is like buying a 6 pack when a case is better, Have a few hundred pounds of propellants and who knows how many primers of all sizes on the shelf. In fact 2 years ago I had so many Winchester primers I gave a couple boxes to Gearchecker. Not 50 packs either, 1000 packs. Not overly fond of Winchester anything, especially primers. Winchester primer cups are hard. Federal cups, especially the Federal Gold Medal match primers have the softest cup followed by CCI, Winchester is dead last. No clue about any others like Wolf or Fiocchi, don't use them

Buy my pills in bulk too. I don't ever load lead so it's always FMJ's and in case quantity.

Get my Berger hunting pills in 250 pill cases and my Hornady handgun and rifle rounds in 250 or 500 lots. Same with Sierra. The more you buy the cheaper they are. When I was loading 223's I bought 10,000 Hornady 55 grain SPBT's and I don't have any left so you decide where they all went to.

Guess I'm a sucker for precise reloading too. I load everything on my RCBS Rockchucker single stage or my Reddding T8 Turret if I'm doing handgun rounds and I weigh every charge too. Every charge passes over my Ohaus triple beam scale and my electronic trickle with an electric eye for a most uniform charge and very consistent muzzle velocity.

Just touched off a group of 5 300 Win Mag rounds in Norma brass with 185 Bergers. Every round chrono'd within 5 FPS of the other, using my Euhler Chrono. The rounds were 4 years old.

How I roll...
Tell me about your Euhler crono?

·
Registered
12,228 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

How I roll...
Seeing as how you load rifle and big revolver cartridges, I can see the 8# jugs. I can get about 2200 wadcutter reloads from 1 pound of Titegroup. Except for the Win296, used for full power 357 magnums, I can still get over a thousand loads of 9mm, 40 or 45 from a pound.

·
Super Moderator
19,324 Posts
Here in Knoxville there seems to be a pretty good supply of all reloading componants. My little shop has plenty to fill all of our customer needs.

·
Registered
9,082 Posts
I'm set I actually need to go burn some up. With this Virus thing we have been busier than ever....( Thank God) Powder primers and about 30lbs of lead I'm good as I cast my own too, although I have plenty of plated...But theres always room for desert..:)

thewelshm

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
Except for the big box guys like Sportsmans warehouse there arent any other places that carry reloading stuff locally and truth is even pre buyer rush their selection in stock was spotty at best so its been online only for me.

Bought about 4000 primers and some more powder about 2 months ago. You can still find supplies online but there is a fair lead time but if you already stocked and dont mind the wait its out there.

I havent checked very recently but when I bought mine the prices werent inflated ... there was a cut off on how much you could buy and there was a shipping window that was out to two weeks. You couldnt buy more than 1000 CCI small pistol primers but you could buy 1000 CCI and 1000 winchester and 1000 Federal. I already had some laid up so the 2 weeks to ship didnt bother me.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts