Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Considering reloading for .32 Long and Short Colt. Anyone here loading for this or other antiquated cartridges...? Nothing I own will do the .32LC as it is a .313 heal based bullet with the grease grooves ahead of where the bullet seats in the cartridge. I'm wondering if the .30 cal sizing dies might be close enough. There are some moulds out there for this, but they are hard to come by. Brass can be found but I'm thinking you need the stuff from the last production. Not wanting to use the old balloon headed brass...

giz

·
Registered
110 Posts
I think what you need is .32 H&R Magnum dies. I'm pretty sure you can use them to load the .32 shorts and longs. They'll accomodate the .313 bullet better because the .32 H&R Mag lead is .311-.312 whereas most .30 caliber dies are a max of .309. I'm not sure if you can modify the .32 H&R Mag brass to the other calibers, but that may be possible as well.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well I've got both 32 S&W Long and 32 H&R reloading dies. But the problem is with the heel based bullets with the outside lube grooves. Think in terms of .22 LR. So the heel is what fits into the cartridge and is sized accordingly. The rest of the bullet is the dimension of the cartridge measured on the outside. I know of a source of older reloading dies, so I'm going to check it out tonight.

These are the Lyman moulds that would possibly work...

Lyman 299152, of 80 grs. (heeled)
Lyman 299153, of 90 grs. (heeled)
Lyman 299154, of 105 grs. (heeled)
Lyman 299155, of 80 grs. (hollow-based)

giz

·
Registered
1,839 Posts
Giz Your starting down the most rewarding and frustrating road that you can imagine. Just the hunt for shell holders can be daunting. I don't do many pistol, but I do a number of old rifle cartridges.

·
Registered
2,681 Posts
I love loading for obsolete cartridges - probably my favorite aspect of handloading!

I'm wondering if the chambers could be oversized. (Have you measured chamber dimensions?) If they are, you might be able to load with "normal" grooved bullets sized to fit the bore - and still have the cartridges chamber without sticking.

If the chambers are tight and won't allow cases loaded with oversized grooved bullets to be chambered, then maybe you can load with undersized skirted or hollow-base bullets that will expand to the bore size.

Finding either the proper mould or the proper bullets will be equally daunting... :D

If you happen to find a mould that is a few thou. undersized, you can "enlarge" it a bit by propping the mould open with a thin strip of alum. foil between the blocks (like the stuff that comes on chewing gum) - and cast a slightly larger bullet. The folks on the cast bullet forum call this "beagling" - after Beagle, the fellow who thought up the idea. I would suggest posting your question over there if you can't run down one of those heeled moulds.

xtm

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Heeled bullets are being sold regularly by a caster that is on Gunbroker... :)

giz

1 - 7 of 7 Posts