Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have all noticed the price of available ammunition has skyrocketed, or there is very little or none at all. My question to all you re-loaders is: are the necessary components available for purchase and not priced as though it is made of gold. I have capabilities for .38/357 cal and .44/.44Magnum, I would want to load for the .380 auto and the .32 S&W Long. Should I continue to think in terms of reloading or what is the market like under our present circumstances? I have not reloaded in 20 years but would be willing to try if the dies & components are reasonably priced. Thanks for your help.

·
Super Moderator
10,857 Posts
Dies and brass are reasonably priced and for the most part available. I am finding bullets have increased in price but are still for the most part available. My lead bullet supplier has not increased. ;)

Primers are the sticking point. I was thrilled to find 600 large pistol primers recently for $18. Imagine being excited about that. Look on Gunbroker to see all the primer auctions. Crazy prices there.

I think it comes down to this: Reloading will always be less expensive per round than buying factory. The primer shortage will loosen in time. How long, nobody knows.

·
Registered
406 Posts
I think Forester summed it up pretty well. Bullets, brass and dies are pretty easy to come by at reasonable prices. Primers are pretty much non-existent unless you're willing to pay a king's ransom for them ......... at $70 to $100 bucks a brick on GB, I'll pass. Some powders are hard to come by also.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That is what I'm looking for, keep them coming, you guys make the decision much easier. Please don't hesitate to add.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Dies are a little thin in the more popular calibers but can be found, especially used. I scored a set of Redding carbide .380s for $35 very gently used on the other forum. My pusher had a set of .223 small-base dies in stock which I snapped up. Brass is readily available, especially once-fired stuff in the more common calibers. Powder can be a little tough depending on your preferences, but I'm trying new powders and working up new loads - it can only benefit me in the long run. Cast bullets are easy, some of the jacketed stuff is hard to find, particularly .223s.

Primers ... that's the hard part. I snagged a couple boxes of large rifle at my pusher last month to use as trade fodder. The only large rifle I reload is my .270, and 1 box of primers should last me nearly a lifetime for that. I've traded one box for a box of small rifle, and I'm keeping my eyes open for a box of small pistol and/or small pistol magnum.

Even with upped prices of components, I figure I can reload a box of cast .38s or .45s for about $6. ($0.03/primer, $0.03/powder, $0.06/bullet, recovered brass = $0.12/round*50.) Even though I lose a few rounds of brass each time I go to a match, it's still WAY cheaper than $17-18/box for 230gr ball.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Forester did sum things up rather well. There are some shortages of components but this is just a temporary situation. it wont continue this way. Reloading is definitely the way to go.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts