Smith And Wesson Forums banner

21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,970 Posts
An update to my previous post in this subject, I mentioned W231 as my propellant of choice (there was some serious fade here) While I still may use W231 with the 45ACP, I of late have employed Winchester AutoComp in reloading the 9X19mm with 124Gr FMJ bullets. Utilizing a Dillon SDB press, I've found that AutoComp meters will, with consistent powder charge weight, burns clean with excellent accuracy. I still employ W231 with the 45ACP.

·
Premium Member
11,963 Posts
Another day, another 200 rounds of 9mm 124gn...

I also like W-231 (aka Hodgdon HP-38).

I've recently been loading Hodgdon CFE Pistol It's slower and softer shooting than others I've been using, and seems to do a good job, even in my Luger pistols (which can be ammo sensitive).

·
Registered
13,746 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
A friend and i loaded some 40 calibers with Power Pistol and CFE pistol . Charge weights were such that both should be running at about the same velocity, with same bullet. The CFE loaded rounds were softer shooting without a doubt

·
Registered
13,746 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
What is the pressure for that round? It looks about where I want to be, just curious about the pressure.
A powder company would have to tell you that. I don't know anyone with equipment to do pressure testing, but according to data from Alliant this load is near the top end for standard pressure 9mm

·
Registered
2 Posts
A powder company would have to tell you that. I don't know anyone with equipment to do pressure testing, but according to data from Alliant this load is near the top end for standard pressure 9mm
Thank you for the response. Wish there were more loading data available for that powder.

·
Registered
13,746 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Thank you for the response. Wish there were more loading data available for that powder.
In the reloading section of a forum called "The High Road" there are a couple of extensive threads on this powder. They have work ups with multiple bullets and at multiple powder charges with chronograph results

·
Registered
18 Posts
With ammo prices being ridiculous and scare availability, I reload everything but 22LR. You can find the components but with the trending politics, better to roll your own.

Tell me where you can fine a case of 147 grain FMJs that are accurized across all of my 9mm handguns, carbines and AR-15s?

Only from my Dillon 550b progressive presses.

Factory ammo just does not give me the absolute control over the accuracy, cleanliness and recoil.

21 - 28 of 28 Posts