Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
12,647 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Over the years I have heard it said that reloading 9mm isnt worth it. I began reloading in 2014 so the big 2012-2013 ammo shortage was still fresh in my mind. I figured if I am going to load my own, I might as well load for everything I shoot. I had seen all ammo go up in price then eventually dry up. Even though I can load 9mm only a little cheaper than late 2019 prices, my decision to load it was more about availability than price. Now with 9mm prices havering around 50 cents per round, I am glad I load it. I used a 124gr FMJ bullet made in house by Rocky Mountain Reloading for these, along with 5.5gr of Power Pistol. These run nice in any gun I have shot them from with plenty of accuracy and moderate recoil.
70EFE092-E554-4EA6-A59D-63F2A6398AB7.jpeg

These cost me 13.2 cents per round. If I used my Hi-Tek coated bullets my cost would be closer to 11.5 each

·
Registered
90 Posts
If you’ve already got the primers and the brass and the powder I guess the bullets are a big factor in the cost of reloading 9 mm.
Last year I bought 9 mm at $.17 around just because at that price I was too lazy to reload it plus the once fired brass was included.
Now I’m glad to have both options, to shoot the loaded rounds or to reload

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
343 Posts
It isn't worth it if the 9mm factory ammo is available at "normal" prices.

But anymore, if a cow pizzez on a flat rock, the shelves go empty in a hurry.

I personally am not gung ho about reloading 9mm due to an article I read about bullet setback. Wish I'd saved it. It was a real eye-opener. Took very little setback to drive the pressure up to 60,000 psi.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I am a low volume shooter and therefore a low volume hand loader. For me it was never about saving money, just something I enjoyed doing from time to time. Single stage press for close to 40 years. I do use Federal HST for my self defense loads but have not shot factory in years for range use. I simply enjoy loading one round at a time, weighing each powder charge and dropping each one into the gauge just to be sure. So I guess I have been shooting expensive ammo all along and don't regret it one stinking bit. To each his own as they say.

·
Registered
4,597 Posts
When 9mm prices were normal and sometimes better, I mostly quite loading and just bought factory. Now I am back to loading my own and glad I have the components. Don't like messing with that short case though.

·
Registered
240 Posts
"I personally am not gung ho about reloading 9mm due to an article I read about bullet setback. Wish I'd saved it. It was a real eye-opener. Took very little setback to drive the pressure up to 60,000 psi. "

If you use a taper crimp die, the bullets are not likely to experience setback. Also, you can use a cannelure tool to add a crimped in ring on the brass where the end of the bullet will seat. Either way should prevent setback. In the realm of "just in case", I always load the bullet for maximum length. Just some thoughts on the subject!

·
Registered
12,647 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
"I personally am not gung ho about reloading 9mm due to an article I read about bullet setback. Wish I'd saved it. It was a real eye-opener. Took very little setback to drive the pressure up to 60,000 psi. "

If you use a taper crimp die, the bullets are not likely to experience setback. Also, you can use a cannelure tool to add a crimped in ring on the brass where the end of the bullet will seat. Either way should prevent setback. In the realm of "just in case", I always load the bullet for maximum length. Just some thoughts on the subject!
I tend to load mine longer than the OAL listed in the data I use and stay in the mid-range of the powder load

·
Registered
310 Posts
I reload mainly 9X19mm and 45ACP thus I utilize W231 powder for both. Employed (2) Dillon SQDB presses. As a side note I also favor Winchester primers.
That's what I have on hand, may I ask you to share your pet load w/W-231 and WSPs and what bullet you're using? I have some Zero brand 124 fmjs and Berrys plated 124s and 147s. I think 500 of the 147s are hps. In a 650.

·
Registered
141 Posts
I have loaded 9 mm for a number of years now on my Hornapy AP press. I don't mind it at all and can load a bunch in a short time once I have it set up. I loaded 500 last week to up my stock and have the components to load as many as I need along with about anything else for a long time. After the last time I was not going to get caught without again.

·
Registered
179 Posts
In the last half of the 1970's...I had to "up my game" reloading handgun ammo. I fell in with a bunch of guys in central Ohio who were shooting something called "IPSC". My classic single stage "C" press simply wasn't keeping up with the need to shoot several hundred rounds every week...week in, week out. Ever since then..I've managed to keep a couple of ammo cans full of 38 spl, one full of 41 mag, and a couple each of 9mm and 45 acp on hand at all times and haven't considered purchasing factory made ammunition for range practice. I do appreciate you folks that DO buy factory ammo and leave the once-fired brass behind though. ;)
PLEASE...continue.

·
Registered
213 Posts
I don't shoot much 9mm, but I still load for it because my handloads perform better than the WWB, Fed Am Eagle and other plinking ammo for less cost. I've been reloading long enough now and for more costly calibers that even when taking sunk costs into consideration, my standard 9mm round costs $0.13.

·
Registered
12,647 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Loaded another hundred rounds of 9mm. I used a 124gr FMJ and 5.8gr of BE-86. This is pretty much a max charge for a standard pressure load with BE-86. Alliant says about 1150fps
814879E7-D736-490F-BE1B-59917B820D6C.jpeg

·
Registered
12,647 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Moved on to some 145gr Hi Tek coated bullets. These are loaded with 3.8gr of Unique
5E948369-1BDC-4E4A-9124-E6F621580B2D.jpeg

My Shield has shot well with 147gr plated bullets. Hopefully it likes these Hi-Tek coated bullets as well

1 - 17 of 17 Posts