Smith And Wesson Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
15,310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Finished up with the 357’s and moved on to 38 Special. Had to open a new pound jug of Titegroup. A pound will load about 2000 rounds. These are a 158gr Hi-Tek coated bullet over 3.5gr of Titegroup. I loaded 100 last night and 100 the night before. Have tried others but this is my favorite recipe for 38 special range rounds.
Ammunition Bullet Gun accessory

·
Registered
15,310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I've always loaded the .38 spl and .45 acp by the thousands since they are so much fun to shoot. Being old fashion and a "stick-in-the-mud" I used Bullseye or Red Dot.
I started reloading in 2014, or right after the big ammo/ component shortage following Sandy Hook. Supply on powder was still hit & miss. Bullseye & Red Dot were unavailabl. Titegroup was actually the first powder I bought because I knew I could use it and it was available. My first dies were for 38/357 and 45 acp.

·
Registered
26,210 Posts
My 38 loads seem to like 3.8 Titegroup with 158 gr bullets of various types as well as 4.0 of Universal.

·
Registered
15,310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
My 38 loads seem to like 3.8 Titegroup with 158 gr bullets of various types as well as 4.0 of Universal.
I have loaded up to 3.8gr of Titegroup, but accuracy seems just as good with 3.5 and I can shoot them 100 of them in a light J frame without getting beat up. I also load a plus P load using a 125gr Hornady XTP and 4.8gr of Titegroup that has some punch but isnt too bad as far as recoil in a light J frame

·
Registered
417 Posts
You are doing exactly what I need to do.. Load pistol ammo! I usually load all my 45's, 9mm, and 38's up in the winter, and then shoot during the 3 seasons that it is nice out side.
Before I can load anything, I need to cast some bullets up, and then powder coat them. I am pretty new to the powder coating deal, but so far I like the results.
Your load of 3.5 grs of titegroup, is what I use of bullseye, until the Sandy Hook deal, made powder impossible to get.
Thankfully, not long after that happened, I was offered an 8 lb jug of Hodgdon Trap100, at a very fair price.

Good stuff, made for use in shot guns, but like lots of other shot gun powders it works in pistols too. It loads the same as bullseye in my 38's, burns clean, and works well in my 45 ACP, and 9mm too. I have about a 1/2 jug left, and then back to bullseye, as I stocked up last winter when everything as easy to get, and cheap.
BES

·
Premium Member
13,688 Posts
I worked through most of the election cycle to resize and decap pistol brass - about 20,000 in .38 Special, 9mm Luger and .45ACP...

The winter project will complete the job. FMJ bullets, Federal primers and Hodgdon CFE Pistol.

·
Registered
21,505 Posts
I use the Titegroup on the 38 Special and 45 ACP. 38 special is 148 gr Berrys plated DEWC over 3.5 gr and the 45 ACP is 200 gr LSWC over 6.2 gr. However, my 357 mag loads like Unique. Those look like some fine ammo.

·
Registered
5,387 Posts
Have been so busy at the church w/ office work, etc. that I just have not had time to do anything much except read, write and record programs, etc. Hopefully there will be some time after Christmas. I'd really like to load up a pile of .38 Specials ... and some .45 ACP. If I really get some time I'm going to load up .30-06 range ammo and have some fun w/ my M-1 Garand rifles. God bless. Sincerely. bruce.

·
Registered
26,210 Posts
Glad MBC has finally shipped my last order from them; haven't bought 38s in 35 years.

·
Premium Member
2,000 Posts
I looked for starter reloading info on You tube but they wasted half the time talking BS and bad audio . I would need some type of mobile setup for 1 bedroom apartment , might not do any good looks like reloading products are getting hard to find

·
Registered
15,310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I looked for starter reloading info on You tube but they wasted half the time talking BS and bad audio . I would need some type of mobile setup for 1 bedroom apartment , might not do any good looks like reloading products are getting hard to find
If you can find an old Black & Decker Workmate, that would make a decent stand to clamp a press to. Folds up when not in use
Furniture Table Desk Stool Bench

·
Registered
26,210 Posts
For a while, in between reloading set-ups, I used a small stand from either harbor freight or Northern Tool. 18" square top with a set of flared legs for stability. My single stage was mounted on an Inline fabrication riser so it sat on top, not on the edge - I could fit it easily into the side area of a basic closet.

It was similar to this:

·
Registered
15,310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Spent a couple hours at the bench today. I started off with finishing off a box of Speer 148gr Hollow Base Wadcutters. I loaded 150 rounds with 3gr of Titegroup this afternoon.
Ammunition Bullet Gun accessory Tobacco products

After dinner I loaded another 100 rounds. These used a 130gr Hi Tek coated bullet over 3.3gr of Clays
Ammunition Bullet Gun accessory Cylinder

The 38 Special ammo can is now full.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts