Smith And Wesson Forums banner

Reference Material Needed

4K views 15 replies 8 participants last post by  SoCal Guy 
#1 ·
I own the Standard Catalog but it does not provide serial number history that I am looking for. And I can find online Model 29 s/n info for NXXXXXX series guns. What book/site/link will give date for serial number ACJ00XX?

#6 ·
Well, folks here on the forum are very helpful when asked. Provide your information and I'm sure what date range is available we can provide it. As to the Standard Catalog, it's written for collectors, shooters and those interested in Smith and Wesson firearms, it's purpose wasn't necessarily developed simply to provide shipping dates. I have the 3rd and 4th editions sitting next to me; provide a partial serial number, model number if it has one and I'll find out what the book has to say about your revolver. Also, pictures help a lot!

Reactions: sparkyv
#5 ·
The 3rd edition of the standard catalog is pretty clear about three letter serial prefixes. They began coming out in the transition years of 1980-1983. There will be large gaps in any serial sequence and they were used out of sequence. ABL4000 was Jan 1983 and ADE6700 was Oct 1983. None beginning with an "A" are listed after Jan 1988. Edition 4 will have more data in it about these s/n's.

Regarding the Model 29 N serial numbers; N1 began in 1969-1972 and the highest known range is N97xxxx (ca. 1986). Edition 3 also provides a breakout for N100000 through N900000. Searching through this forum will also provide you with valuable information regarding both three letter prefix s/n's and N serial numbers.

In the body of the standard catalog there is a very good write up on the Model 29 and sometimes you can narrow down a serial number by looking at when engineering & production changes occurred ; for example it states the in 1983 the N s/n ended for the Model 29 and the three letter prefix began. The same year the 29-3 was introduced.

#13 ·
Great, especially with the picture! It's a K frame revolver, the serial number puts you with a shipping date of 1965. The model, which you can verify by opening the cylinder and looking for a stamp on the frame, you'll likely find Model 14-2. Prior to 1957 they were referred to as a Target Masterpiece, a fine handgun and though not rare, is much sought by shooters! I have two pre-model's myself.

#14 ·
Welcome to the forums from the Wiregrass, Mark and SoCal Guy! Mark, the triple alpha serial numbers are in the B Appendix in the SCSW. This is an excerpt.

Reported triple-alpha sightings, revolvers
1980 – AAA 1981 – AAA, AAB, AAD, AAC, ACH
1982 – AAD, AAF, AAK, ABK, ABL
1983 – AAM, AAP, AAS, AAW, ABC, ABD, ABL, ABM, ABT, ABV, ABY, ABZ, ACC, ACE, ACH, ACK, ACL, ACP, ACZ, ADB, ADC, ADE, ADT, ALV
1984 – AAU, ABV, ABZ, ACZ, ADE, ADM, ADR, ADT, ADW, AEA, AEB, AEC, AEF, AEL, AEM, AEV, AEZ, AFA, AFJ, AFK, AFM
1985 – AAV, ACC, ACJ, ADA, ADP, ADZ, AEF, AEH, AEM, AER, AEW, AFB, AFK, AFL, AFN, AFR, AFS, AHA, AHB, AHC, AHJ, AHP, AHS, AHT, AHV, AJB, AJD, AJJ, AJH, ALA, ALB, ALC, ALU, ALV, ALW
1986 – ACE, ACV, AJC, AJD, AJN, AJS, AJT, AJW, AHC, AHU, AJS, ALW, ANA, ANB, ANF, ANK, ANN, ANP, AUB, AUC, AUH, AUM, AUU, AVC, AVT
1987 – AFL, AHC, AHV, ALC, ANK, ANN, ANR, ANS,

(Page 491).
SoCal Guy, my condolences on the loss of your father. He must have been a pretty discerning guy to own an iconic S&W target revolver. BTW, the model is not .38 S&W Special CTG, that is the cartridge (CTG) that it chambers. Before S&W implemented model numbers in 1957, it was known as the K-38 Masterpiece, as other members have noted. It became the Model 14 in 1957 and as BC2 states, yours probably has undergone the 2nd engineering change so it will be marked as MOD 14-2 inside the yoke cut where the cylinder hinges. In anticipation of another question we often get is "yes, you can shoot +P ammo." If you don't know what that means, then, ignorance is bliss. Shoot anything commercial that you can find. Wadcutter bullets are recommended for target shooting because they cut carpenter bee like holes in the target. But, again, anything you can chamber will work. Have fun and remember your dad every time you shoot it.

Reactions: Blackcloud2
#16 ·
Welcome to the forums from the Wiregrass, Mark and SoCal Guy! Mark, the triple alpha serial numbers are in the B Appendix in the SCSW. This is an excerpt.

SoCal Guy, my condolences on the loss of your father. He must have been a pretty discerning guy to own an iconic S&W target revolver. BTW, the model is not .38 S&W Special CTG, that is the cartridge (CTG) that it chambers. Before S&W implemented model numbers in 1957, it was known as the K-38 Masterpiece, as other members have noted. It became the Model 14 in 1957 and as BC2 states, yours probably has undergone the 2nd engineering change so it will be marked as MOD 14-2 inside the yoke cut where the cylinder hinges. In anticipation of another question we often get is "yes, you can shoot +P ammo." If you don't know what that means, then, ignorance is bliss. Shoot anything commercial that you can find. Wadcutter bullets are recommended for target shooting because they cut carpenter bee like holes in the target. But, again, anything you can chamber will work. Have fun and remember your dad every time you shoot it.
thank you kindly! I look forward to getting it out on the range this weekend!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.