Smith And Wesson Forums banner

Red dot sights on K 14-3

Tags
red dot
16K views 18 replies 11 participants last post by  Bob K 
#1 ·
My revolver won't shoot as well as it can. My old eyes won't let it. I would like to install a red dot sight on it.
I don't know which red dot sight to get. I want one that does not require permanent alteration to my pistol.
My gun is a S&W K-38 Target Masterpiece (Model 14-3) made in 1969.
If any of you have any experience or first hand knowledge of such an installation and any recommendations I would appreciate hearing of it.

#3 ·
B-Square used to make a scope mount that replaced the rear sight, I think it's discontinued but there still may be some available or something similar. Any decent machinist could make one fairly easily.

#4 ·
I want one that does not require permanent alteration to my pistol. My gun is a S&W K-38 Target Masterpiece (Model 14-3) made in 1969.
Welcome to this site.
I also have a K-38 Target Masterpiece (mine is a 1970 Model 14-3):

I believe all came with partridge front sight and adjustable rear sight? I'm cheap and a proper correct red dot is going to get expensive. I suggest using masking tape with a big red dot on it. :D It's $1 and removes quickly. I am serious since I've tried it (but removed it before making pictures).

Reactions: Wiregrassguy
#5 · (Edited)
Here's the rub.......literally. The mounts that clamp around the frame and use the same holes as the rear sight will screw up the blueing on your gun. Allchin makes a mount that replaces your rear sight and let's you mount a Burris Fastfire III on your pistol. Yes you will need to drill and tap your gun under the rear sight. I would rather have holes that don't show than ruined blueing. BTW Brownell's has the mount and Fastfire. This is the FF on my 627.

Attachments

#7 · (Edited)
I have found the B-Square removable mount to be awkward and ugly.....so I sold mine, and had it D&T'd. It is a much sturdier and better set up for a Red Dot scope. It is not necessary to get the best Red Dot. The cheap ones from Tasco are usually good enough for a range gun......bowling pin shooting. If you want to hunt with it....you will have to go with the sturdy, expensive ones that aren't cheap. I bought a Bushnell Red Dot for about $75, 15 years ago. It seems pretty study to me. I took it off my K22 because it's too heavy for me to handle. NOW...... It's sitting in a box..... somewhere. Bob

#10 ·
I think series guy has the best of it.. take a look at his setup, perfect for those "experienced" eyes.. :D

the "no gunsmith" options on an older revolver just didn't do it for me - I tried several .. clunky looking and poor fit, clumsy and unstable (IMHO)..

so either remove the adj rear sight and drill and tap the frame under it - or buy one that is already d&t.. I believe Smith started doing that on its production guns in the early 90's..

I actually choose to get a 686 rather than modify one of my older Smiths.. just my 2 cents..

#13 ·
I had a red dot optic with a mount (no drill and tap) for a Colt 1911. I had a 327 S&W revolver, with tactical rails, and mounted the red-dot on it. It wasn't all that satisfactory - but then again it could have been the operator behind the 327. I hung a light/laser under the barrel on a tactical rail and it serves a purpose but it isn't a target gun using the laser.

I am in my late 70's and the old eyes aren't all that hot at picking up a sight picture. But the old practice of dabbing some fingernail polish on the front sight helps me - as does S&W's with a red ramp and white outline rear - although the battery powered red-dot (once adjusted for the preferred load) might be better. - I always was of the opinion that the red-dot was an aid to staying on target for rapid fire competition.

Just found this out and wanted to share it. It appears that Police Swat asked S&W to design a revolver for the lead swat team member who carries the armored shield. They asked for a revolver with reliable function in case the lead swat man would bump the shield and jam an automatic pistol, the 8-shot, five inch barrel 327 with tactical rails was S&W's offering.

#15 ·

Just found this out and wanted to share it. It appears that Police Swat asked S&W to design a revolver for the lead swat team member who carries the armored shield. They asked for a revolver with reliable function in case the lead swat man would bump the shield and jam an automatic pistol, the 8-shot, five inch barrel 327 with tactical rails was S&W's offering.
Good thing S&W provided the internal lock on that model, those SWAT officers need to be extra 'safe'! ;)

#14 ·
I had a newer Model 625 drilled and tapped for a red dot sight. I had already purchased a Weigand mount, and the smith installed it. It required removing the original sight. The original rear sight can be reinstalled easily, but the frame will be drilled, and thus killing any collector value on the gun. However, there were lots of Model 14's built, so I would consider getting the Weigand mount.

There are some older Weaver "no drill" mounts out there, but they'll mar the finish on the revolver when installed.

#19 ·
The addition of the Red Dot is perfect for 'old eye syndrome'. I also shoot tighter groups than.... I though I was ever able to do. With open sights, all my groups looked like shotgun patterns at 10'. With the Red Dot on my K22, my groups were under 1/2", with 5 touching and, of course, one flier! :D I had the same results on a M-10-8 4" that I tried, also. But.....with bigger holes! Bob

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.