Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 910s with the plastic guide rod and I understand that the metal one for a 5906 can replace it. Any advantage to going with metal over plastic, like: better reliability, accuracy etc.? :mrgreen:

·
Registered
898 Posts
No real advantage other than if metal is what you are used to you may be more comfortable with it....some say the plastic dampens recoil...also, if you put it in wrong you will damage the plastic rod and not the frame/slide...if you do a google search of plastic guide rod vs metal, you will find some interesting stuff...either way, you should be fine.

·
Registered
215 Posts
I have one of the early 910's. Its accuracy was never that impressive, but it was a nice pistol to train newbs with.

I heard on another forum that replacing the plastic guide rod with the 5906's steel rod, and going up a couple of pounds on the recoil spring would improve accuracy, and tighten up the pistols groups. It did that. In fact it improved it enough that my daughter used it in an IDPA match, and did very well.

I lost the records I kept during my divorce, but last I recall, this 910 was approching 20,000 rounds through it. Last time I shot it, and was cleaning it afterwards, I noticed a hairline crack in the left forward frame rail. My gunsmith currently has it.

Did it crack due to the addition of a metal guide rod imparting more force on the frame? Or did it simply crack because it was an aluminum frame with over 20,000 rounds through it? Dunno. I thought I would pass my experience along so you could decide. Good luck! Regards 18DAI.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts