1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, this is for the S&W experts and investigators. First, I have
a M64 (no dash) 4" that has a pinned barrel, but no recessed
cylinders, serial # D5042XX. I also have a M28-2 6" that has
recessed cylinders and a non-pinned barrel, serial # N9541XX.
Last, but not least I have a M27-2 6" that has both R&P
serial N4629XX. Thanks in advance. ihfnlllllq

·
Registered
20,193 Posts
On .38 spl. revolvers, they may be pinned, but no .38's were recessed, only .357 Mag revolvers. The older .357 revolvers were pinned and recessed, but S&W stopped both in 1981. Newer .357 revolvers are not pinned or recessed. Hope thjis helps. Bob

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Trex,

I am no expert, but I can handle a couple of these. First off, only guns chambered in magnum calibers were recessed (except .22s of course.) Your model 64 is chambered in .38. None of the .38's were recessed.

This also explains why your 27-2 has both...it is chambered in .357 magnum.

Finally, your 28-2 should have both but that serial number is a very late number and perhaps is it a transition gun toward the 28-3. In both the 27 and 28's when the engineering change went from -2 to -3, the P&R were dropped.

Hope that helps.

P.S. Bob beat me to it...

·
Registered
20,193 Posts
Cush, It's OK in my book! ;) Your 2nd opinions reinforce what I said. It's always good to have back-up. :lol: Bob

·
Registered
2,340 Posts
Cush said:
... First off, only guns chambered in magnum calibers were recessed (except .22s of course.) ...
If I had a snubby model 10 with a recessed cylinder would it be an anomaly? I think I've got one, but can't check until I visit my Dad next week. I know it's pinned. The gun lives in his nighstand...

·
Registered
20,193 Posts
A recessed M-10 would be an anomoly. Are you sure that you don't have a M-13? That is a .357 revolver that does resemble a M-10. Bob

·
Registered
2,340 Posts
Bob K said:
A recessed M-10 would be an anomoly. Are you sure that you don't have a M-13? That is a .357 revolver that does resemble a M-10. Bob
Bob,

Yep, it's a 10. I'll see it this week and report back. This guy has a 10-7 that he says is recessed. Mine looks just like his:

http://www.shootersxchange.com/detail.c ... rdID=79182

PS, I do have a 13, but it's newer and not P&R.

·
Administrator
8,194 Posts
It'll be interesting to hear if it's recessed or not. I've never heard of a model 10 having recessed chambers, but then.. I've also learned to never say never when it comes to S&W! fhfjjjj

·
Registered
2,340 Posts
I could be wrong, I haven't had a good look at the model 10 in a couple of years. If it is recessed, the bidding starts here... :mrgreen:

·
Registered
3 Posts
Details, details. Also, the frame lug in the photo looks like a non-recessed lug (not cut flush with the cylinder window, has a "step" to compensate for the shorter cylinder). Thats's not the best picture I've seen, so I may be wrong.

·
Registered
2,340 Posts
OK, getting back as promised. I viewed my M10 today. It is pinned but not recessed.

Perhaps, as some have suggested, such a creature doesn't even exist...

·
Registered
4,306 Posts
I believe that the initial run of Model 13s were marked Model 10 and chambered for .357 Mag. but I have never seen one so they might or might not be recessed for all I know. lsk705

1 - 13 of 13 Posts