Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my trigger does not always return forward, it returns half way and i have to nudge it forward.. i have cleaned and oiled it but it still fails to return forward on about half of the trigger pulls, a gentle nudge and it pops forward. i have decided to replace the rebound slide spring. my question, does the spring come right out and i can simply put the new one in? or is it better to buy an entire new rebound slide?
any insight is appreciated, this is my very first smith.

·
Registered
2,602 Posts
Well , if you have already cleaned and oiled it may be spring time . But when you have the rebound slide out just make sure it is well polished and not sticky with WD-40 or some such. WD-40 has gummed up many a trigger return. Although ,if the spring is the culprit and new one is the answer it can be tested with a small little stretch to see if you are on the right track.
And yes , the spring will come right out of the slide when lifted out of the gun. Watch it does not pop out and enter your eye when lifting out.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks, i took it apart and cleaned out some gunk, and put it back together, the trigger still fails to return, so i ordered a new spring. hopefully that fixes it. its an old gun that looks like it was rarely or never fired, it may just need some use.

·
Premium Member
18,758 Posts
Did you take the spring out and look at it? It may be broken, or it may just be binding inside the rebound slide. Polishing the inside of the rebound slide as well as the surfaces that mate against the frame is one way to smooth out the trigger

·
Registered
32 Posts
Rebound slide springs are often cut to reduce trigger pull weight (not a good idea). The spring should have 17 coils, and should be flat at both ends.

·
Premium Member
18,758 Posts
An Arkansas stone is best. Here's how Larry Potterfield does it:

Of course MidwayUSA sells the stones. You can also use a Dremel and Flitz or Mother's mag polish. The idea is not to remove metal, just polish it until it is smooth. Any polishing compound you use inside the frame must be completely removed after you are done polishing. Mineral spirits or acetone (brake cleaner, parts cleaner, carb cleaner) will get it out.

·
Registered
7,639 Posts
mhcshooter, Guy means just take off burrs. Lightly remove sharp edges with stones. I have a pointed stone that looks like a golf tee. I got it at Brownell's. I use it to polish the inside of the rebound spring housing. It won't round edges and takes off very small amounts of metal. I have packs of rebound springs that I have used over the years. S&W revolvers, Colt and Ruger are good to get that custom trigger pull that you as a shooter will appreciate when you can "keep 'em in the Ten ring". JMO

1 - 8 of 8 Posts