Smith And Wesson Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Many of you probably know about his multiple maint. and dis/reassembly videos.

I had spent about three hours reviewing video segments for the more subtle challenging steps, before tearing down the frame components.

* My goal had been to improve the DA smoothness, which has not been bad.
Using 220, 400-grit and 0000 steel wool, in this sequence, rubbed each side of the drawbar for a while, which gave both sides a decent shine.

Haven't noticed any improvement in the trigger pull, but his videos are the best gun full-assembly videos I've ever seen-by far.
The primary challenge was trying to 'wiggle' the thin, lower pin back into the grip to contain the sear.

Needed about two minutes of Dremel, scraping that pin to allow it to be inserted into the grip and sear.

Luckily the techniques used by "blubelly2" for the rest of the reassembly worked really well.
Wearing a pair of reading glasses is also essential. My only previous gun detailed strips were on the Sig P6 frame, and swapping AKM trigger groups, and receiver pin "Retainer Plates" (nutty shepherd's hooks long gone).

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Rabbit212: What concerned me at first was how a person can See how to insert the hook-shaped mag safety goes into place. Note that my Only previous (handgun) frame detailed disassembly was the Sig P6.

Thanks to his video, using a flashlight (once or twice) and wearing reading glasses (i'm 65) , it's pretty easy to see exactly how the mag safety is inserted....and looking at my other S&W (908) the tiny mag safety's "stub" barely protrudes into its dedicated tiny opening on the upper surface of the frame.
* This "hole" is at 7:30 in the video, just forward of the hammer.

Believe me, you or anybody else can do it, by going slowly. And using my punch to gradually hold the 'pawls' and hammer in place was not at all difficult. You just move the gun slowly while keeping the punch inserted through the gun like a thin "shish kebab". A punch similar to his won't easily fall out.

The sear is easier, just a little subtle as I fumbled a few times with it, somewhat overlapping the thicker "Lobe" (tiny tube shape) over the end of the flat spring, then keeping in place with a second, very thin punch.
** Note lobe at 9:34

*** >>> I hope that this helps Somebody out there <<< .

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.