Smith And Wesson Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently acquired a Model 17-2, made in 1964. The rear sight strap seems to come forward the right distance in relation to the frame, but it covers about half of a screw. None of my other K-22's have that screw that is halfway covered, but they are all pre-models. Has anyone seen this situation before? What is that screw for? Could it be that someone has replaced the rear sight and got one that was too long for this model?
I know the picture is not very clear, but it's the best I could get today.
Thanks,
RR

·
Premium Member
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I think I got some of my questions answered when I looked at a couple 17-2's online. Neither one had that front screw. I am now thinking that someone must have tapped the frame for a scope. Whaddaya think?
I am currently soaking the small flat screw in the sight strap with Kroil, hoping I can back that out and see what's under the sight strap.

·
Registered
11,072 Posts
If,,, if it were a screw for a scope mount, the rear one would typically be run all the way through the frame and you would see the hole in the frame above the cylinder. My 4" 19 no dash rear sight does not go to the end of the frame just like your 17-2. My 2 1/2" 19-3 rear sight
is longer and ends with the frame.

·
Registered
10,131 Posts
Hey R,

I would leave it in....you may damage it trying to remove it.....

That and a buck will get ya.....'bout 1/2 cup o coffee... :ROFLMAO:

Later, Mark

Reactions: azmick

·
Registered
558 Posts
Thanks for the advice, pards. I think I will do just that, and leave it alone. It's a good shooter, with a good balance, which helps my old shaky hands stay on target.
When the author of his Garand books, Mr. Duff, always said, "if you don't know about something on your Garand, just leave it alone". Good advice, especially for collectors. Gun manufacturers did some pretty crazy things to get old parts out of stock and into later model guns. I don't know about the forward screw, but just leave it alone. Big Larry

1 - 7 of 7 Posts