Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Driving through Albuquerque the other day and a filthy looking guy rapped on my side window and asked for a ride for "A couple blocks" Seriously? And sports fans I could smell him. I dug into my money holder, gave him 10 bucks and said take a cab. The light went green and man I was gone.

·
Registered
11,007 Posts
I hate it when that happens. They seem to come out of nowhere. You always have to be on the lookout. You were very generous too him.

·
Registered
213 Posts
You are nicer than I am as well. I would not have rolled the glass down to start with, but if forced into a conversation, I would have told him to put one foot in front of the other, and repeat.

While I am not particularly paranoid, trust is earned. So if i'm in a city, I keep my truck doors locked and the glass up, and my eyes wide open at stop lights.
I figure while they are breaking the glass, I can react in what ever way, is appropriate. A few seconds can save your life!

Also when stopped at a light, I always leave at least car length, more is better, in between me and the car in front of me, as a possible buffer / escape zone if needed.

·
Registered
14,498 Posts
You are nicer than I am as well. I would not have rolled the glass down to start with, but if forced into a conversation, I would have told him to put one foot in front of the other, and repeat.

While I am not particularly paranoid, trust is earned. So if i'm in a city, I keep my truck doors locked and the glass up, and my eyes wide open at stop lights.
I figure while they are breaking the glass, I can react in what ever way, is appropriate. A few seconds can save your life!

Also when stopped at a light, I always leave at least car length, more is better, in between me and the car in front of me, as a possible buffer / escape zone if needed.
General rule of thumb. If you can see the rear tires of the car in front of you contacting the ground, you have enough room to pull around them if needed

·
Premium Member
1,851 Posts
When I lived in Ridgecrest CA gave a ride to a guy with brokedown truck a to gas station . When he got out smelled a stink and seen split and stain on in his pants . I went on down the road and kept smelling the stank and there was poop stain on my car seat :poop:

·
Premium Member
475 Posts
I live in the Nancy Boy state of California, so obtaining a CCW is tough. But, I have pepper spray always at the ready in the car and when I walk the pups (always on leash).
And, as my 240lb. 6'4" Texas Drill Sargent would pound into our young heads, "always be prepared and when resting, always think about being prepared", I never forgot it and to the this day I always think about what I'll do in a situation. This way it's second nature to act as "he who hesitates is lost"

·
Registered
24 Posts
Early this year a Federal judge in Chicago struck down a state law against pan handling. Now when we visit a nearby city most major intersections are populated with beggars holding signs and acting 'impoverished', usually with multiple help wanted and now hiring signs in sight. You can call it the rust belt if you want to, but there are entry level jobs open everywhere, and few takers. If they can stand on the street for hours holding a sign they could probably earn more in a day than kind hearted motorists will give them.

Oh wait, I forgot about that pesky drug test...

Guess I've become a crotchety old man!

·
Registered
174 Posts
Back in the 90's there was a panhandler in the next town up. He stood on street corners with a sign that said will work for food. One day I was with my boss and he pulled up next to the guy and said get in. The guy asked why and my boss told him I'm going to give you a job. The guy cussed him out. Turns out this "homeless" guy owned a new house and a new car. Panhandling was his job.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts