Smith And Wesson Forums banner
41 - 56 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
495 Posts
Kurt, You mean you shoot that beauty? :eek: That what I do with all of mine......but limit it on a M-66-1 2 1/2" and a M-10-7 2", that I keep it fine condition. The rest of them are my shooters. Bob
Hello Bob
I sure do, I shoot everything in my safe, even my 1935 Registered Magnum. Here she is shown with a target I was testing one of my Elmer Keith Hand-Load's on using a 158 Grain hollow point bullet with some 2400 Magnum Powder. As you can see I had to make some sight adjustment's but by the last Two shot's she was Laying them in there where they Belonged at the 25 Yard Line.... And when I am done shooting her, I clean her up and Put her Back to Bed in the custom Case I made up for her. I Bought a Factory 4" Presentation case for this revolver, but when it arrived I discovered due to the slightly shorter Barrel that it has, it would not fit correctly in a Standard 4" presentation case. I then decided to Modify it so that it would fit and cut it down and reflocked it. The case and the paperwork are shown below, as well as It's Nickel Knurled sight adjuster....Kurt

·
Registered
8,899 Posts
I do find one thing interesting about the Model 28 versus the Model 27, it came with an adjustable rear sight. Not like the Model 58 versus the Model 57, and again with the Model 581/681 versus the Model 586/686.

·
Registered
9,504 Posts
Hello Bender
Interesting Observation. Then I Guess a current Retail price of $950.00 for one of the new Classic Model 27's that S&W is offering, is not out of line as far as Price goes. I still Rather have my Pre-27 Five screw in Nickel though....They Just don't make them like this one anymore, Nor Never Will.... Hammerdown

Oooops, I may have made a slight mistake, I can't remember if Hammerdown's nickel 357 is a Registered Smith & Wesson 357 Magnum. The quote that they don't make them like this anymore, when referring to the "Registered" magnums is quite correct.
The"Registered" guns were only assembled and put together by a few of the very best fitters in the Smith & Wesson factory; truly custom guns. I have one and the action on it is the finest factory action I have ever experienced and the fit and finnish correspond. . .I stumbled onto the gun just out of sheer dumb luck. That said I will stand by my comment on the 5-screw "N-frames, as I think these guns were also quality made 357's, the flagships of the S&W line. Hank

·
Registered
495 Posts
Oooops, made a slight mistake, I forgot Hammerdown's nickle 357 was a Registered Smith & Wesson 357 Magnum. The quote that they don't make them like this anymore is quite correct
as the "Registered" guns were only assembled and put together by a few of the very best fitters in the Smith & Wesson factory; truly custom guns. I have one and the action on it is the finest factory action I have ever experienced and the fit and finnish correspond. . .I stumbled onto the gun just out of sheer dumb luck. Hank

Hello Hank
My Nickel Pre-27 was made in 1955 20 Years later than my Registered Magnum which was shipped on December 13, 1935 and is shown below. The Registered Magnum's were ceased in late 1939-1939 time span when they dropped the Registration process and stopped stamping REG. In the guns frame. Ones made after that were called Non-Registered Magnums and their production ceased in 1940 time span. After World War II when civilian gun production resumed we saw the .357 Magnum brought back as a new Post War offering Named the Pre-27's in the very early 1950's time span, now with a short cocking action and the Larger style Micro-Click Post-War sights. Here is my Blued Registered Magnum again and shown at the Range being shot by my Son in law... Hammerdown

·
Registered
9,504 Posts
I'm either slipping or not quite awake Kurt, I should have instantly recognized the different hammer configuration on the short throw hammer - as always, two of the prettiest Maggies. . . . .thanks for setting the record straight.

Regards, Hank

·
Registered
495 Posts
I'm either slipping or not quite awake Kurt, I should have instantly recognized the different hammer configuration on the short throw hammer - as always, two of the prettiest Maggies. . . . .thanks for setting the record straight.

Regards, Hank

Hello Hank
No Problem. I start off my Day with Two Huge Cup's Of Joe. After that I am In Bevis Mode for most of the day....BouncyG Kurt

·
Registered
9 Posts
Well there is a difference besides cosmetics: The original model-27 could be ordered with a 3 & 1/2 inch barrel, 5 inch, 6 inch, 6 & 1/2 inch and 8 & 3/8 inch. The chamber walls were patened burnished chamber walls, the trigger had a glass hard point engaging hammer notch. Trigger pull was adverised for single action 3 to 4 pounds, double action was advertised at 10 pounds. It could also be ordered in bright blue or nickel and the front sight had options between ramp or Patridge. So different barrel lengths were available as well as finishes and front sights. Did S&W do more on tuning the action of the 27? - The afore mentioned subtleties aren't mentioned in the Highway Patrolman add. What is my experience in comparing the two, I can't tell much difference, it's more the difference between individual guns. . .But the model-28 Highway Patrolman is the work horse, it's the one you want when you might ding it, the 27's are the one you'd be more likely to worry about dinging it up.
Hank
The difference between the tow that makes the biggest differenc is the 27 was made ,or put togeather, by ONE gunsmith. Whereas, the 28 went down as assembly line.

·
Registered
black powder shooter
4,351 Posts
Discussion Starter · #48 ·
always a blast to see a zombie thread rise..

I did indeed buy a 4" 28, and later a 27, and several others of each model in differing barrel lengths over the past 10 years .

I eventually settled on 2 of the 27's - 3.5" and a 6", both of which will stay on - getting there however was a whole bunch of fun (and cartridges 😎 )

·
Registered
10,866 Posts
A 28 is made for work, a 27- 2 is absolutely gorgeous I know I own one..

Thewelshm

·
Registered
358 Posts
The difference between the tow that makes the biggest differenc is the 27 was made ,or put togeather, by ONE gunsmith. Whereas, the 28 went down as assembly line.
I see no difference in the fit and smoothness between my M27-2 (1977) and my M28-2 (1973). Maybe one gunsmith did build each M27, but these were all built in the day when there was a great deal of hand fitting and tuning.
A 28 is made for work, a 27- 2 is absolutely gorgeous I know I own one..

Thewelshm
I see the M28 as the COPO Camaro, plain hub caps, painted wheels, crank windows and a hot 396 under the hood. The M27 is the fully loaded SS396, fancy mags, stripes and covered headlights.
Photograph Revolver White Air gun Trigger
Vertebrate Air gun Trigger Revolver Mammal

·
Premium Member
Model 27 and Model 19 (early builds)
4,269 Posts
I am a big fan of the Model 27. I have several that are all 4 or 5 screws with most of them lettered. It's just where my accumulation hobby ended.

I can also say that I have bought and traded a bunch of these S&W revolvers. It's what a good hobby requires to find a sweet spot. I have a Model 28 that is lettered to the first month of production (May, 1954). I have my first 10-5 and a couple of M19-3 Texas Ranger revolvers (I carry one of them).

Air gun Gun barrel Trigger Material property Gun accessory

Revolver Trigger Air gun Gun barrel Gun accessory

Revolver Trigger Air gun Gun barrel Everyday carry

Revolver Air gun Trigger Gun barrel Gun accessory

·
Registered
358 Posts
One unique feature of the 28 is it being the only model built with a non serrated rear sight leaf.
Yeah, the whole distance from rear sight to the step-up on the rib to the front sight is slick as a baby's butt. Until you mentioned this, I hadn't really realized the step-up does have grooves, although the rest is smooth. My 28's front sight is painted, not an insert. The checkered 27's step-up is hardly noticeable because of the checkering. My M28-2 came with the target hammer, and also a smooth combat trigger. The M27-2 is a 3T.
Wood Tool Revolver Natural material Metal
Product Wood Gun accessory Artifact Natural material
Finger Gas Gun accessory Auto part Wood

Musical instrument Revolver Wood Trigger Wind instrument

·
Registered
20 Posts
I have enjoyed reading the posts I recall the reasons I bought my first M28 back in the early 80's:
I wanted to joim the "combat pistol" league at my local gun range
I was a young E-2 in the USAF with very limited funds
I needed a pistol that could handle heavy loads reliably
The M27's were popular in the league, but some noted the Patridge front sight was better suited for bulleye than holster draw
The M28 was cheaper and had the Baughman "quick draw" ramp front sight
Some may have scoffed at the look, but that M28 had many of them raising their eyebrows at the scores we posted!

Invest in memories...they remain priceless.

"Leadership is the art of accomplishing more than the science of management says is possible." -Gen. Colin Powell

·
Registered
202 Posts
Wow! This thread has more lives than a room full of cats.

But just to add my own $0.02, I solved the problem of having a M27 that was too nice to shoot, I picked up a much-carried 1973 vintage M27-2 a few months ago for $700, or about half of what the perfect ones are selling for. I also have a '64 vintage M28, which also has seen a lot of holster time and therefore, like the M27, much less to buy than a safe queen, I paid $500 for it two years ago. The 27 has a 6" barrel and a silky smooth action, the 28 has a 4" barrel and the action, while smooth, is not quite up to that of the 27. Since I got both used, I have no idea what sort of work, if any, had been done to either of them prior to my ownership. As far as shooting goes, either will get the job done, but the Model 27 looks better doing it.

In days gone by the Model 28's were much less pricey than the M28's, but over the last few years, the 28 seems to have been elevated to a sort of cult status and clean ones are bringing nearly the same money as a M27. If I just wanted a shooter, I would keep looking for something in good mechanical condition with enough finish wear to scare off the guys that only want pristine examples and have deep enough pockets to afford them.

Me? I like the super nice guns and while I have a few that are too nice to shoot, I also have a second example of each that are a bit worn looking that I can throw in a holster and go hiking and not have to worry about putting a scratch on them.

The 27, target stocks added by me to replace the Goodyear's that were on it when I bought it:

M28, stocks that are currently on the M27 came off of this gun and the diamond targets it's currently wearing are some that I bought cheap at a gun show several years ago.

41 - 56 of 56 Posts