Smith And Wesson Forums banner
21 - 40 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
They are very different. The 27 is a work of art, as one said earlier, the flagship "357 Magnum". The Bright Blue finish was just great. I can get excited over a 27 while a 28 will make me yawn. I like them both but the 27 just grabs the heart more, much like a daughter and son do.

·
Registered
247 Posts
It will never cease to amaze me just why someone would purchase a top of the line item and NEVER really use it. For the record, I will suffer no virgins in my gun safe. I try to not 'ding 'em up, but fella's, those things were MADE to be shot. Just recently I picked up a minty 28-2 for next to nothing.....and I most heartedly agree with those hereon that describe it as a real shooter, but I have other S&W's that do as well, some lightly engraved, but still all are used. My 28 has had upwards of 500 rounds of fairly hot Keith recommended loads thru it in the month or so I've owned it, it WILL see more.

Kinda makes me recall when I bought my brand spankin' new pickup truck........first day of deer season it too was used for what it was intended.........by the end of that first day it had brush scratches on both sides, the bed had been duly anointed with dog crap, and some blood from that first one of the year was on the side panels! Huntin' buddies have questioned my using a really nice cherry BAR on those trips too.........Like I said, I will not entertain virginity!!

The moral being that you can decide to recuse that nice 27 in the closet for posterity............just remember posterity is something YOU won't be here for

·
Registered
495 Posts
It will never cease to amaze me just why someone would purchase a top of the line item and NEVER really use it. For the record, I will suffer no virgins in my gun safe. I try to not 'ding 'em up, but fella's, those things were MADE to be shot. Just recently I picked up a minty 28-2 for next to nothing.....and I most heartedly agree with those hereon that describe it as a real shooter, but I have other S&W's that do as well, some lightly engraved, but still all are used. My 28 has had upwards of 500 rounds of fairly hot Keith recommended loads thru it in the month or so I've owned it, it WILL see more.

The moral being that you can decide to recuse that nice 27 in the closet for posterity............just remember posterity is something YOU won't be here for

Hello
I feel the exact same way on Using Gun's for what they were Intended for. That said, I shoot my 1935 Registered Magnum with Very warm handloads as I do my Nickel Pre-27 both shown below Posing and in Service as they were intended for. Col. Douglas Wesson invented the .357 Magnum as we came to know it, The Registered Magnum and he too was a Hunter & Target shooter at heart as he was shown harvesting Bear and such with his Registered Magnum. To have one of these Gorgeous creation's and Not shoot it, is like owning a 1969 Corvette with a 427 Big Block that sit's in your Garage not being enjoyed....I am sure their are future collector's waiting for us that do Not Enjoy our handguns to tip over, so they can own a nice example, but I will enjoy mine while I am Here as ya Can't take em with Ya....and Who Cares what happens to them, once you are gone ? Hammerdown

Posing quietly....

In Service doing what it does Best......

Pre-27 1955 circa Posing.....

After a session at the Range.....

·
Registered
9,504 Posts
My first 357 was a long barrel model-27 and that made me a fan of the N-frame 357. Financial troubles an the long barrel was sold along with most everything else. A new life in Florida and I needed a 357 this time I decided on a 4-inch Highway Patrolman for easier carry; it served me equally well and the price was right. . .The actions felt about the same, but the HP was handier while the long sight radius of the long barrel gave a better sight picture - and yeah the finish on the 27 was prettier.

I think this photo of an "S" series model-27 illustrates the difference in finishes. A few differences than a model-28, a 6 & 1/2" barrel, red ramp and white outline sights, and target trigger and hammer from the factory.
Hank

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
Hello
I feel the exact same way on Using Gun's for what they were Intended for. That said, I shoot my 1935 Registered Magnum with Very warm handloads as I do my Nickel Pre-27 both shown below Posing and in Service as they were intended for. Col. Douglas Wesson invented the .357 Magnum as we came to know it, The Registered Magnum and he too was a Hunter & Target shooter at heart as he was shown harvesting Bear and such with his Registered Magnum.

To have one of these Gorgeous creation's and Not shoot it, is like owning a 1969 Corvette with a 427 Big Block that sit's in your Garage not being enjoyed....I am sure their are future collector's waiting for us that do Not Enjoy our handguns to tip over, so they can own a nice example, but I will enjoy mine while I am Here as ya Can't take em with Ya....and Who Cares what happens to them, once you are gone ? Hammerdown
Posing quietly....

In Service doing what it does Best......

Pre-27 1955 circa Posing.....

After a session at the Range.....

I agree 110%! Those are some great looking revolvers you have there! Glad you take them out...they deserve it. Enjoy!

·
Registered
2,677 Posts
I have a 27-2 that has been carried many days and miles in the woods. I carried it on a 70 mile hike one time across the bob marshall wilderness and 35 miles across the clear water wilderness and many short five to ten mile trips up into the bitter root mountains of northern Idaho and Montana. It has been soaked by rain had dew on it even dunked in a river.I have cleaned tiny sticks out of it from brush. It layed by face many nights deep into the woods many miles form the nearest dirt road where I slet on the ground by a fire. It has killed two black bears and deer and a number of grouse lost there head to it.
I would say the only problem with it is the partridge front sight that cut a groove in my holster over the years.I feel a 357 is way under powered for a big griz bear but back in the days I packed it they were very rare to encounter and I always went with a friend who packed a very hot loaded black hawk in 41 magnum.But my 27-2 has a past with me and memories that i would not trade for any thing.In my twenties and early thirties it was there on my hip when I went fishing or berrie picking and I felt very confident when I layed down by the fire at night with it by my face.
I took a lot of ribbing from my friend and others who preferfed there rugers about my fancy smith and wesson. But they always took advantage of a chance to shoot a few rounds through it.I shot a couple of model 28 many years ago belonging to friends one a cop.I could not tell any perceptable difference in the triggers.
No body has said that the model 27 and all dash models since go back down a direct line to the registered magnum that came along in 1935. the high poilish and back strap checkering have always been there.
I feel the model 28 could have easily been called a combat revolver like the 15 is compared to the 14. The highway patrol name pretty much is the same meaning and the 28 was desighned for use as a combat revolver.I dont own a 28 and am not seeking one since I have two 27-2. But that dont mean I wouldnt snap one up should I stummble on a realy good deal on one.But it would not be treated any different than my 27-2 for use or care.To me the high polish blue compared to the more satin blue of the 28 is like having two different colors of pickups.I find the blueing on a 28 just as attractive as the high polish on the 27. It is just different.
I like harleys a lot and if you go into a harley shop you will see many chromed out high gloss paintjobs on some models. Some people love there harleys shiney and sparkling. But you also see models that are all subdued black even the handle bars with no chrome any where and they look very good also.
I prefver a pick up with rubber floor mats and basic interior so I can hose it out with a garden hose and no chrome stips to be torn off driving through brushy mountin roads,But I also appreciate a nice classic pickup with a cutom paint and chromed out look.
The 27 and 28 give a person choice of either look in a gun that is identicaly the same in wormanship quality and performance.And being extremely opinionated old stubborn and set in my ways. I think the n frame will always have a edge over any smith and wesson chambered for 357 magnum. All the other models are fine guns and the 586 and 686 come close but still will never to me ever edge out a 27 or 28.

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
No body has said that the model 27 and all dash models since go back down a direct line to the registered magnum that came along in 1935. the high poilish and back strap checkering have always been there.
This is true, it is not only now called the 27 but it is the "357 Magnum". The original.
With the exception of Alaska, I would not feel "under powered" either carrying this set up anywhere in the U.S.
What is the barrel length of your 27? Thank's for sharing your history with it. :)

·
Registered
8,899 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Couldn't decide on a 27 or 28, so i got them both. Nickel 5" 27-2 just stunning and lucky me a 28 no dash made in 1958 in excellent condition. Blueing flawless and a faint turn sign on the cylinder. Both excellent and most enjoyable shooters. Also got a Python and a Trooper Mark V. All great shooters but the Smiths are special (to me).

·
Registered
4,931 Posts
Couldn't decide on a 27 or 28, so i got them both. Nickel 5" 27-2 just stunning and lucky me a 28 no dash made in 1958 in excellent condition. Blueing flawless and a faint turn sign on the cylinder. Both excellent and most enjoyable shooters. Also got a Python and a Trooper Mark V. All great shooters but the Smiths are special (to me).

That's the way to handle tough choices. Welcome!p

p.s. do yo know where Kirkland Lake is? I have a good friend who is with the RCMP there.

·
Registered
240 Posts

Look at the date. Upper right. Oct 26, 1959.
FWIW.....I checked out the Consumer Price Index(CPI) from the U.S. Dept of Labor and, indexed for inflation, a $120 Model 27 bought in October of 1959 would be equivalent to approximately $935 today and the corresponding $85 Model 28 would be equivalent to $662.00. Given that the average (median) income was really about $5400 per family, these still were not inexpensive. Then again, things of value rarely are.

ftp://ftp.bls.gov/pub/special.requests/cpi/cpiai.txt

·
Registered
495 Posts
FWIW.....I checked out the Consumer Price Index(CPI) from the U.S. Dept of Labor and, indexed for inflation, a $120 Model 27 bought in October of 1959 would be equivalent to approximately $935 today and the corresponding $85 Model 28 would be equivalent to $662.00. Given that the average (median) income was really about $5400 per family, these still were not inexpensive. Then again, things of value rarely are.

ftp://ftp.bls.gov/pub/special.requests/cpi/cpiai.txt

Hello Bender
Interesting Observation. Then I Guess a current Retail price of $950.00 for one of the new Classic Model 27's that S&W is offering, is not out of line as far as Price goes. I still Rather have my Pre-27 Five screw in Nickel though....They Just don't make them like this one anymore, Nor Never Will.... Hammerdown

·
Registered
9,504 Posts
One difference, brought to mind looking at Hammerdown's 5-screw. The Highway Patrolmans I have owned have always been "working guns" meaning I have had no particular attachment to them; if lost, damaged, confiscated, whatever I wouldn't be overly concerned. The Highway Patrolman was just a tool to do a specific job, as such there was no particular attachment to them. Whereas the model-27's were something to take pride of ownership in. Hammerdown's beautiful nickel 5-screw is a shining example of the attractiveness of the three and a half inch "357 Magnum"; that's what this revolver was called before it was a "model-27". The three and a half inch 357 Magnum/model-27, is the glamor girl of the N-frame 357's IMHO; the 5-inch barrel is my favorite barrel length for belt carry, but the three and a half somehow looks like it is all business...And I agree the 5-screws display top notch workmanship.

Hank

·
Registered
22,051 Posts
Kurt, That nickel plated M-27 would be the at the top of the heap, in any collection........ Especially mine! ;) That is one perfectly proportioned firearm! It don't get much better than that. Even I wouldn't shoot it! TRULY....... The ultimate .357 Mag. revolver. Bob

·
Registered
495 Posts
Hello Hank & Bob
I have Alway's been attracted to Nickel S&W Target revolvers. For the most Part Nickel gun's can be carried and Polished back up to rid them of scratches unlike Blued guns, when they get holster Burn they stay looking worn. That said the Pre-27's In Nickel finish are a Real Challenge to locate as they made a lot less of them compared to the Blued ones. The Pre-27 shown shipped in July 1955. I have not lettered it yet so I can Not be certain if it left the Factory as a Three T's Gun as it is shown. It came to me with the hammer & Trigger it is shown with but I added the Coke Profile stock's to it as I felt it deserved them. It shoots as good as it look's If I do my Part....Thank's for your Kind words I appreciate them.. Hammerdown

·
Registered
22,051 Posts
Kurt, You mean you shoot that beauty? :eek: That what I do with all of mine......but limit it on a M-66-1 2 1/2" and a M-10-7 2", that I keep it fine condition. The rest of them are my shooters. Bob

21 - 40 of 56 Posts