Smith And Wesson Forums banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

Registered
make mine 45 acp 馃槑
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking to add a 375 to the family - something that I can shoot in a 4" pinned and recessed. I have been watching the deals on gunbroker for a couple of months. Seems to me the 27s are 2 or 3 times the price of a 28.

The book describes the model 28 as a "utility version of the model 27 with a satin blue finish".
Setting aside points that only drive 'collectability' issues - what are the shooting/handling features that are different in these two models?

For instance there appears to by a lot more trigger & hammer options on the 27 vs 28.. But without a hands-on of every combo at a range, I wouldn't have a clue how they stack up against the more limited 28 options..

Opinions?

Registered
The differences are strictly cosmetic. The 28 was an economy measure to provide a good gun to LEO's at a lower price.

Standard 28's came with magna grips in 4 or 6 inch barrels..You could get them with options by special order or do it yourself gunsmithing.

I don't think you could find a dimes worth of difference shooting or endurance capabilities between a 27 and a 28.

I carried a Mdl 28 around in a holster hanging from a gun rack in my pickup on the ranch for over 20 years. It shot like a rifle and I sold it for nearly 3 times what I paid for it.

Can't beat a deal like that very often.

Super Moderator
The model 27 had a fancier finish(highly polished blued or nickeled) and the top strap has checkering. I heard that reduces glare in heat. As Iggy noted the differences were cosmetic ones because the model 27 was the fancier looking firearm.

Registered
The REAL difference is that I shoot my 28 a whole bunch more than my 4" nickle 27-2 or my 3 1/2" pre 27 cause I can deal with the thought of dinging my 28 a lot easier than I can deal with the thought of dinging the 27's!

(paranoid)Mike

Registered
The REAL difference is that I shoot my 28 a whole bunch more than my 4" nickle 27-2 or my 3 1/2" pre 27 cause I can deal with the thought of dinging my 28 a lot easier than I can deal with the thought of dinging the 27's!

(paranoid)Mike
Then pray tell, why did you purchase the 27?

Registered

(paranoid)Mike

Same here. 100%

Registered
Same here. If it is the .357's turn at the range my 27-2 5" will join the Party, but if I am going to carry one in the woods it will either be my Pre-28 4" or my 686 6". While the 27 stays warm and cozy in the gun-safe.
As to why I purchased the 27, I am with mmitch, I wanted it, and could afford it.
To answer your question you will never go wrong with either the 27 or 28. Think of it this way; if you were looking for a truck to be a Hauler, Puller, off-road vehicle for hunting fishing, etc what would you choose a fully loaded $60,000 Truck or one with a little less Glitz and Glitter. Both will do the job very well, but you won't feel as bad with the cheaper model when that tree branch scrapes down the whole right side.

Reactions: pappy and DocZeus

Registered
RD,

My sentiments, exactly, but you phrased it much nicer and more eloquently than I chose to.

Mike

Administrator
The model 28 vs the model 27 was really a smart idea. The model 27 was S&W's flagship for quite a while. And, it's also a great shooting revolver too. But, being the top of the line in it's day also made it more expensive. Too expensive to be used as a tool by most people. The need for a great shooting N-frame in 357 magnum that could be used as a tool and didn't cost a great deal was what everyone wanted. So, the model 28 was introduced. As I said, smart move by S&W. The model 27 kept it's prestigious perch atop the S&W line and the model 28 became a big seller.

Mechanically they're the same, which is why the model 28 became so well liked by a lot of people.

It's kind of too bad they didn't do that with a few other models too.

Registered
Well there is a difference besides cosmetics: The original model-27 could be ordered with a 3 & 1/2 inch barrel, 5 inch, 6 inch, 6 & 1/2 inch and 8 & 3/8 inch. The chamber walls were patened burnished chamber walls, the trigger had a glass hard point engaging hammer notch. Trigger pull was adverised for single action 3 to 4 pounds, double action was advertised at 10 pounds. It could also be ordered in bright blue or nickel and the front sight had options between ramp or Patridge. So different barrel lengths were available as well as finishes and front sights. Did S&W do more on tuning the action of the 27? - The afore mentioned subtleties aren't mentioned in the Highway Patrolman add. What is my experience in comparing the two, I can't tell much difference, it's more the difference between individual guns. . .But the model-28 Highway Patrolman is the work horse, it's the one you want when you might ding it, the 27's are the one you'd be more likely to worry about dinging it up.
Hank

Registered
In 1955 the 'pre 27' sold for $109.30, the HP $85.00. That doesn't sound like much but the average guy was making less than $5,000.00 a year back then.

Registered
In 1955 the 'pre 27' sold for $109.30, the HP $85.00.
Kinda makes you want to cry , don't it ?

Or , to warm up the 'Back to The Future' DeLorean ...... :eek:

Per Hank
It could also be ordered in bright blue or nickel

Ya mean like this one ? I have a fondness for Nickel ! :p
Gun Firearm Revolver Trigger Starting pistol

Regards ,
George , my Nickel 27 is a shooter Mr Mike

Registered
Consider the model 27 a Cadillac and model 28 a Chevy.
The matte finish on the 28 cost less to produce, along with the absence of the checkering on topstrap.

Registered
The differences are strictly cosmetic. The 28 was an economy measure to provide a good gun to LEO's at a lower price.

Standard 28's came with magna grips in 4 or 6 inch barrels..You could get them with options by special order or do it yourself gunsmithing.

I don't think you could find a dimes worth of difference shooting or endurance capabilities between a 27 and a 28.

I carried a Mdl 28 around in a holster hanging from a gun rack in my pickup on the ranch for over 20 years. It shot like a rifle and I sold it for nearly 3 times what I paid for it.

Can't beat a deal like that very often.
Same as what Iggy said. He nailed it.
Firearm Gun Revolver Trigger Gun barrel Firearm Gun Trigger Revolver Gun barrel Take your pick. I shoot them ALL.

Registered
I walked down that trail once too Blazer. Wanted a 357 and decided to get either a model 27 or 28. But to paraphrase Yogi Berra, if you come to a fork in the trail, pick it up, or in other words, buy both! A model 27 came my way first. A nice and shiny 27-2 long tom.

But when I later came across this old 28 no dash, I had to walk it's way too.

As far as smoothness of action and trigger, I can't tell any difference between the two. As others has said, the big differences are in the finish and options. You won't go wrong with either.
John

1 - 20 of 46 Posts