Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4,218 Posts
Hi Giz, That is a nice 1984 book but do you think that it is really old?

I have some older books about pistols like the following

The Book of the PISTOL & REVOLVER by Capt. Hugh B. C. Pollard 1921

PISTOL and REVOLVER SHOOTING by A. L. A. Himmelwright 1930

SHOOTING by J. Henry FitzGerald 1930

PISTOLS and REVOLVERS and Their Use by Major Julian S. Hatcher 1927

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
But Jim,

Do you have all the guns that go with the title? :mrgreen:

giz

·
Registered
4,218 Posts
Gizamo said:
But Jim,

Do you have all the guns that go with the title? :mrgreen:

giz
Nope, I was told that you should buy the book first. I do have books about guns that I will never be able to afford.

Have you gotten "SHOOTING" yet? AbeBooks has 5 copies from $34 to $150 each. It will make a good backdrop for your Colt FITZ Special, even if you don't read it. Of course you will read it.

·
Super Moderator
32,508 Posts
I recently re-read Cautio Criminalis. It isn't about shooting but it is OLD! :shock:

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Interesting subject matter...

The Witch trials of old, as told by a Jesuit priest who ministered to the accused...and those that were afflicted by the confessions.

Was it a good read?

giz

·
Super Moderator
32,508 Posts
Gizamo said:
Interesting subject matter...

The Witch trials of old, as told by a Jesuit priest who ministered to the accused...and those that were afflicted by the confessions.

Was it a good read?

giz
It was. The book is a series of questions, answers, rebuttals, etc. where von Langenfeld asked a question and then used logic in his answers to prove that the witch trials were evil and killing innocents. Sobering story.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
This is a translated book from the 1600's. The author was a German Jesuit Priest..so the thing that is most interesting is why and how ~ he used applied logic against such a emotional issue. Dang, might have to go out and get this one ;)

Thanks for the tip...

giz

·
Super Moderator
32,508 Posts
Gizamo said:
This is a translated book from the 1600's. The author was a German Jesuit Priest..so the thing that is most interesting is why and how ~ he used applied logic against such a emotional issue. Dang, might have to go out and get this one ;)

Thanks for the tip...

giz
You are correct. Friedrich Spee von Langenfeld was a Jesuit priest who was a teacher of theology and logic. He ministered to many accused witches and came to the conclusion that all were innocent, but that it was a move to get money. He used both a Christian love of others and a view on logic to dispute the witchcraft trials of Germany. Christian compassion(can't torture and execute the innocent along with the guilty) the wheat and the chaff because you punish the innocent, as well as the guilty. You torture someone enough they will confess to anything...the confession is totally worthless. One part of his book tells of a prince(since Germany back then was a confederation of principalities) who called his high priests in. He asked one of them "how many denounciations was sufficient to torture to get a confession? 12" Then told the priest that was how many times that the priest had been denounced. Unending cycle. Accused, tortured to get a confession, tortured to get more names, and around it went.

·
Registered
2,681 Posts
Not a 1911, but somewhat close to the cover photo subject:

Great book with lots of photos and text on old western gunleather.

xtm

1 - 11 of 11 Posts