Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is anyone out there able to confirm for me if this symbol on each end of the “38 S&W special CTG” is a re-blueing mark? I though someone had already told me so but can’t find the post.
905C845A-809D-4659-BA8F-1F5095186AAC.jpeg

·
Registered
389 Posts
No it isn’t. Those are called “dingbats” (really!) and are part of the roll stamp, designed to help line it up and assure an even imprint of the text. They can be found around older S&W caliber markings. How necessary they really were is unclear; other manufacturers never used them.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you Absalom! I haven’t seen them on other barrels but maybe I need to look more closely.

·
Registered
12,716 Posts
Absalom is correct. All the S&W revolvers from that era had them. On older S&W revolvers, a star stamped on the butt near the serial number indicates it went back to the factory to be reworked in some manner

·
Premium Member
18,650 Posts
welcome01 to the forums from the Wiregrass! You will see dingbats on older S&W guns around roll stamped text. Many roll stamps incorporate a "foot" that serves to anchor the stamp and prevent it from sliding along the metal surface being stamped. S&W just used dingbats to fancy up the feet on their stamps...and for decoration.

Reactions: Cliff
1 - 5 of 5 Posts