Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,090 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any tips to get the uniflow to drop the powder accurately. I made a baffle for inside the powder tube that helped get the uniflow drop the powder a little better. Now the best I can get is + / - .1 grain. I guess it's not bad for the uniflow. I can live with that. Any mods or tips to get the uniflow dropping powder dead on?
Jim

·
Registered
1,839 Posts
Jim first take your powder measure apart and wash the inside of the powder reservoir with BABY shampoo. This will eliminate static. Make sure you use the same amount of strokes through your reloading process. By that I mean be consistent.

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
I have a Uniflow too(An older model) and RCBS informs me that with other than Ball powder, + or - .1 grains is the industry standard. Unless you're loading an ultra-fast powder or on the ragged edge of max load, one-tenth of a grain makes very little difference in POI or velocity. I only use mine for 2400 loads, which it throws fairly consistantly. The key is like Mr. Pierce stated, make sure both your upswing and downswing use the same force.

·
Super Moderator
10,855 Posts
To get under +/-.1 grains you are going to have to throw slighter charges and use a trickler and weigh each charge.

·
Administrator
8,094 Posts
I agree with the above posters. A tenth of a grain is standard deviation and not enough to worry about unless you're right on the ragged edge. I try to stay away from that edge as much as possible..

·
Registered
2,681 Posts
I have 4 different measures and the Uniflow is my most consistent one!

Excellent advice on the static removal - and the baffle in the hopper - and the consistent, repeatable routine.

xtm

1 - 6 of 6 Posts