Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3,421 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I "inherited" a Lyman Spar-T turret press. It's in good working order, just needs a good cleaning. I already have a RCBS Jr, I only have room for one press, I like the Jr but is the Spar-T any stronger? I load only handgun cartridges but I am also branching out to the .45-70.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Both presses will work just fine... but unless you are reloading really large rifle cases I like the Lyman Spar-T better... why? The "C' design is much easier for me to use than the RCBS "O" design.

From an engineer's point of view the "O" design is better because it is more rigid... from a users view the Spar-T is better being faster and easier to get to the cartridges... as a practical matter both work just fine.

I started with a Spar-T... I wish I still had it... a really nice little press. It worked fine for me for everything from 30-06 rifle to .32 S&W long cartridges.

FWIW

Chuck

G

·
0 Posts
If your going to be reloading the 45/70 you might want to step up to the full sized Rock Chucker. Even though the 45/70 is a straight walled case it is a mighty long one. All the mechanical advandtages of the bigger press come into play. I find them used at gun shops in the 50 to 60 dollar range...and they are a great investment.

giz

·
Registered
182 Posts
Both are fine presses. I chose the Jr. back in ancient times because of the extra strength of the "O". I don't think that extra strength was at all necessary for normal loads.

·
Registered
273 Posts
I load 45/70 & 38/55 on the Spar T The 6 hole turret has advantages, use as many as 6 dies to load those cartridges. De Cap = F.L size =neck expand and flare= insert wad and compress the black powder using a cut down neck expander die= seat the bullet= and in the 38/55 crimp using a lee Colet crimp die.

Plenty of length and power in the Spar T for straight side thin wall old black powder cases. The ultimate in old preses is Herters. Friend of mine has one that has been altered to hold 12 dies same time. He loads 45/90 and 38/56 same press no die switching.

No substitute for old Cast iron when it comes to pressing.

Boats

1 - 5 of 5 Posts