Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,043 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Model 36 flat latch target? I looked on GB and only found one blued in the completed auctions and one "chromed" (possibly nickel) in the active auctions, and both of them were the more common round style thumb piece, rather than the flat latch.

I'm getting the distinct impression this is an uncommon variant - maybe even rare?

Attachments

·
Registered
12,696 Posts
And here is what the catalog says about the model 50
Random and limited production of about 2136. The highest percentage of Chief Special targets are marked M36 or M36-1 or have no designation at all, leaving the remainder marked model 50s.

·
Registered
151 Posts
I would consider it rare because of all the variations on it. I don't believe I have ever seen an older 36 (or pre model 36) with target sites. I have seen a .22 that looked like yours before but not a .38. Not exactly a pocket gun with those grips. I would lose those and find some nice Pachmayr Compacts round butt. Nice gun, I like it.

·
Registered
2,043 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Well I went and bought it today. Had to pay $40 for the transfer because there were only 2 places open to do one today and I didn't want to take a chance on letting it get away. I regularly pay $20 for a transfer so I figured it wasn't worth the risk of waiting just to maybe save $20 - or maybe loose out altogether.

As you can see in the (poor) cellphone photos below, the bluing has a fair amount wear, especially on the cylinder and muzzle. Not a speck or freckle of rust anywhere - including under the rubber grips. No model number either. The serial number of 1499XX puts it right into the known range of "pre" 36 target models.

Mechanically it feels like a brand spanking new gun. Locks up very tight, timing is perfect. Nice bore & cylinders. Obviously carried a fair amount but not shot a lot.

Even though the finish isn't quite as good as it looked in the original pictures, I figured I couldn't go wrong for $325 + the transfer fee.
20200209_122844-1.JPG 20200209_122828.jpg 20200209_122726.jpg

Attachments

·
Registered
88 Posts
That is a very nice score BC38. I saw the adjustable sights and thought, no way that is a 36!!!! You, and other forum members have, once again, furthered my education on Smith and Wesson revolvers.

Thank you,
Gary

·
Registered
2,043 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
That is a very nice score BC38. I saw the adjustable sights and thought, no way that is a 36!!!!
Well, technically you would be right. It isn't a Model 36 - it is a Chiefs Special from before they named them the Model 36! :D

You, and other forum members have, once again, furthered my education on Smith and Wesson revolvers.

Thank you,
Gary
You and me both man, I learn something new just about every day. Glad to have provided another data point to your knowledge base.

·
Registered
17,528 Posts
Very nice old Chief's Special and will be interest to see range report with those sights.

·
Registered
12,696 Posts
So technically you could call that a pre model 50 or a pre 36 target or a chiefs special target and not be wrong. With the flat latch and a target trigger that is truly a rare variation. Pretty sure you should be hearing sirens.
I kick myself for not picking up one of the Ashland Distributors M60 target variations that an area shop had 3 years ago for $550.

·
Registered
10,445 Posts
Very nice find! If it were mine I'd go with S&W wood stocks, even non-diamond relief ones because they allow a good concealed fit. If that's a direction you want to go, send me a PM, I might have something along that line that isn't in use. BC2

·
Registered
2,043 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well, I got to bring it home. Took the butt ugly rubber off - no signs of rust or other marks under them.
So I gave it a quick rub down and wipe off. Then I put the wood off my M36 3" on it for a couple of quick photos.
Not the greatest pictures in the world - I'm not much of a photographer. Fact is about half the pics I took turned out blurry and unusable. I hate how you can't really tell how they'll turn out looking at the camera's screen. I'll have to take some more later, but here are 4 of the best ones I got this go around.
Right.JPG Left.JPG Rear.JPG Butt.JPG

·
Premium Member
797 Posts
Did you hold a gun on him when you got it? At that price, as was said, you should be hearing sirens shortly. Very nice pick up! I imagine there’s a story behind that piece. Hank

·
Registered
2,043 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Did you hold a gun on him when you got it? At that price, as was said, you should be hearing sirens shortly. Very nice pick up! I imagine there’s a story behind that piece. Hank
Actually I knew that an adjustable sight 36 wasn't common, and figured the 2" with adjustable sights would probably be the least common. So I knew it was a great deal at $325.
BUT, I was told on another site, by someone who knows a LOT more about S&Ws than me, that it would be a good deal at around 3 times that price! To say I was pleasantly surprised would be a major understatement! It may not be a $500 RM, but it is definitely one of the best buys I've made to date. :D

1 - 16 of 16 Posts