Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I am new to this forum and I am actually helping a friend who is "techno" challenged. I am wondering if anyone recognizes this particular description. I am currently unable to provide a picture.

.45 colt, triple lock, 6 1/2" barrel, undercut partridge front site, lanyard ring, and a fully enclosed lug shroud. The serial # is 10XX with matching butt and cylinder numbers. There appears to be two indented crossed flags on the cylinder (very small). Rear sites are not adjustable.

Top of the barrel has two lines as follows:

Smith&Wesson Springfield Mass. U.S.A.PAT'D Mar.07.94

May.21.96.AUG.4.DEC.22.96.OCT.8.01.DEC.5.01.FEB.6.06

The story I was told is that this is one of twenty-three of the .44 Hand Ejector 1st Model (aka New Century; Triple lock; .44 Military, Model of 1908) that was actually made in the 45 colt. I have limited "hard resources" available at the moment for researching and struck out in researching the web. All of the information I have provided is taken from a letter. I have not actually seen the gun myself.

Thank you for your help ahead of time. :D

·
Registered
10,921 Posts
The 'under cut Patridge sight' is unusual. The 45 Colt caliber is unusual but many were converted from the original .455
If the gun were mine, I would have had it 'lettered' by Roy Jinks at S&W {info available on the S&W web site}. It would be a very well spent $50

·
Registered
3,121 Posts
SirDerrin
Welcome to the forum.
It's entirely possible that your friend's Triplelock could be a Canadian-contract chambered in .45 Colt.
The serial numbers on TL's are, in some cases, duplicated (U.S. guns VS British contract guns).
The extremely early serial number would certainly indicate a factory letter is in order.
It's probably the best $ 50 your friend can spend.
Don
welcome01

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the information and the welcome. :D

I have my own suspicions about it being a "contract" gun. If you disregard the family story, the facts seem to point to that being the case from the information I was provided. It seems that his best option would be to contact S&W directly and pay the small fee for the "letter". I will provide him with the information and see where it leads.

I will let everyone know if this turns out to be one of the truly "rare" triple locks but I have my reservations.

·
Registered
12 Posts
hi
the 23 that are reference would not have marking on them
they would be in the regular TC Production I have one that letters it was shipped in 1910 and is in the 5xxx serial number range.
are the charge holes recessed a small amount for the shell
to fit in if they are it one that has been converted.
Jim fisher

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hey Jim,

Thanks for the information! Congrats on having one "lettered" I have passed the information on to him about how to get it lettered. We shall see where it leads from there.

Thanks

·
Registered
656 Posts
1. Patridge not Partridge.

2. "Undercut?" I bet it's the original rounded sight (not site) that has been modified. Happens a lot.

3. What does the barrel say exactly for caliber? Crossed flags sounds Canadian. Brits used the .455 Eley, Canucks, too, maybe? May be an original 45 Colt but could also be rechambered from 455.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts