Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got my order in yest. from Mid-south. I ordered new Hornady brass, 150 gr bullets and a set of Lee dies. I loaded these yesterday and went to the range this am. Beautiful day and had the range all to myself. Got the mounts centered and went to shoot. I started at 25 yds on a 3 in target. Then I moved out to 100 yds. The last round fired is the one in the pink at 6:00. Good enough for me, it ain't no German match rifle.
I used the old Lyman load with 43-20 powder. Works pretty well for me.
This is a mild recoiling load, probably would be good for the longest shot I'll ever get on my home place. Here's a pic of my target. Cliff image.jpeg

·
Super Moderator
19,292 Posts
Cliff, that's a really good start. Hopefully SidecarFlip will chime in and be able to give some better explanation on how to adjust the bullet jump to improve your accuracy.
You may want to consider some testing with the bullet seating a MM or so longer than what you're seating the current loads at, and then a mm or so shorter.
This will change how the bullet passes thru the beginning of the chamber during the initial ignition. Some rifles are more accurate with more jump than others. recording the accuracy results for the long and short jumps may give you an indication of which of the 3 settings might be more accurate then the others, and then fine tune it from there.

Keep up the good work!

Regards,
Gregory

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Gregory, with my old swede I always loaded these Long
With really good accuracy. This old lever gun is a different story. I picked up my Hornady book and checked the col they listed. Ran a round down to recomended length. I had +1/16 showing from the end of the hull to the crimp groove. It chambered from the mag but would not eject the loaded round. Their col was not correct.
I set the bullet to the crimp groove and it was correct according to three other manuals"
Cliff

·
Registered
6,955 Posts
Hey Cliff,

Good shooting!

Them ole Savage's.....sure took a heap o' game!

Later, Mark

Reactions: Cliff
1 - 8 of 8 Posts